I Am John Galt

Diskusjon om alt innen kunst og kultur, slik som litteratur, teater, film, musikk og dataspill.

I Am John Galt

Innlegg Panther 30 Mai 2011, 15:35

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/culture/books-non-fiction/6432-books-i-am-john-galt.html

Books: I Am John Galt
29 May 2011 Harry Binswanger

Despite its shortcomings, the book has two great virtues: it exhibits a far better understanding of Atlas Shrugged and Objectivism than I can recall seeing from anyone outside “the movement,” and the writing is supple and first-handed, gliding you comfortably along a 300-page journey.

Bilde
Books: I Am John Galt by Donald Luskin and Andrew Greta

This newly released book is by Donald Luskin and Andrew Greta. Mr. Luskin is Chief Investment Officer of an investment strategy company, TrendMacro. He's also well known as an author and a commentator on CNBC. He has recently had several op-eds published in the Wall St. Journal. His co-author has only slightly less impressive credentials.

The book's gimmick is that each chapter takes a different public figure and shows how he resembles a character in Atlas (or, in one case, The Fountainhead). The odd-numbered chapters deal with heroes, even-numbered ones with villains. There are some excellent selections: Paul Krugman as Ellsworth Toohey for the chapter, “The Mad Collectivist,” and Alan Greenspan as Robert Stadler for “The Sellout.” (Greenspan's parallel to Stadler is something I have noted here on HBL; and novelist Ed Cline posted here back in 2002: “If he [Greenspan] can be characterized as anything, it's as the “Dr. Robert Stadler of economics”.)
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Book Excerpt: I Am John Galt - Introduction

Innlegg Panther 27 Jun 2011, 08:27

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/books-non-fiction/6469-book-excerpt-i-am-john-galt-introduction.html

26 June 2011 Donald L. Luskin and Andrew Greta

You can be one of the epic heroes of Rand’s books—like John Galt himself, her greatest hero—the ones who fight despair, overcome relentless opposition, and lift the world out of desperation.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Living the Life of an Ayn Rand Hero

Innlegg Panther 19 Jul 2011, 16:19

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/books-non-fiction/6496-living-the-life-of-an-ayn-rand-hero.html

18 July 2011 Donald Luskin and Andrew Greta

Ayn Rand’s heroes are larger-than-life projections of her ideals. They lead lives of virtue based on consistent personal convictions with a coherent philosophical system to guide them. Today’s real-life heroes universally did the hard work, tedious at times, to achieve their success based on their own effort and mental acuity.

Bilde

Why It Matters Today

We could conclude by arguing that living by Rand’s philosophy is important today because the threat of collectivism is as salient as ever. Indeed it is as salient as ever, with the United States having just effectively nationalized health care, 14 percent of the economy—and the most innovative and vibrant part of it—by claiming that it is “broken.” And indeed the threat is as salient as ever, with China, a totalitarian dictatorship over 1.2 billion souls, now leading the world in industrial development.

But we won’t say that. The reason to live Rand’s philosophy isn’t that it’s good for the world. That’s altruism talking. The reason is that it’s in your own interest to live Rand’s philosophy. Do you want to have integrity? Do you want to devote yourself to creative, constructive work? Do you want to be happy and wealthy as a result?

Do you want these things for your own sake? Then make it so. We’ll help you by showing you how others have done it, by profiling both the heroes who make our world great and the villains out to destroy it.

If it just happens to save the world in the process, then so much the better.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Re: I Am John Galt

Innlegg stian 01 Aug 2011, 01:35

Er det en bok verd å lese mener dere? Det meste av Ayn Rand tolkninger og sammenligninger som man finner rundt om i verden er etter min mening svært dårlig (kanskje alle jeg har prøvd å lese til nå utenom "Fornuft, egoisme, kapitalisme: essays om Ayn Rand"), men nå er de oftest under 300 sider også da.
Partimedlem.
stian

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 01 Aug 2011, 06:44

stian skrev:Er det en bok verd å lese mener dere? ...

Denne boken er faktisk overraskende bra!
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg stian 02 Aug 2011, 03:32

Vegard Martinsen skrev:
stian skrev:Er det en bok verd å lese mener dere? ...

Denne boken er faktisk overraskende bra!

Greit, da skal jeg prøve å få tak i den :)
Partimedlem.
stian

Gå til Kunst og kultur

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 1 gjest