Ayn Rands innflydelse i kulturen:eksempler

Diskusjon om alt innen kunst og kultur, slik som litteratur, teater, film, musikk og dataspill.

Ayn Rands innflydelse i kulturen:eksempler

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 05 Aug 2012, 07:37

Her er noe jeg skrev for publisering på et amerikansk Objektivist-forum:

Bob Dylan borrows from Ayn Rand

It is well known that Bob Dylan borrows snippets from other artists' works and includes them in his own melodies, songs, lyrics, books, paintings and movies. He has even borrowed from Ayn Rand.

In the 2003 movie “Masked and Anonymous,” which is written by Dylan and Larry Charles and takes place in a war torn USA, imprisoned folk singer Jack Fate (played by Dylan) is released i n order to headline a benefit concert. Fate travels the country and observes a poor, corrupt and destitute society. In one scene, a radio preacher says the following:

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, you make them. You make so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? You pass laws that can't be observed or enforced or even objectively interpreted. You create a nation of law-breakers and then you cash in on the guilt. That's the system, that's the game. Once you understand that you'll sleep a lot easier.

And here is dr Ferris talking to Rearden on page 436 in “Atlas Shrugged“:

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted—and you create a nation of law-breakers—and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system. Mr.Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.
Vegard Martinsen

Re: Ayn Rands innflydelse i kulturen:eksempler

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 05 Aug 2012, 07:40

Her er noe jeg skrev for publisering på et amerikansk Objektivist-forum:

Ayn Rand in Stephen King novel

In Stephen King's bestselling novel from 2011, "11.22.63", popular and eccentric English professor Jake Epping travels back in time to 1963 in order to prevent the killing of president Kennedy and thereby, he thinks, change history for the better.

Kennedy was killed, as everybody apart from the Left knows, by communist Lee Harvey Oswald. Oswald had first defected to the Soviet Union. Then, because life there was extremely boring, he defected back to the US. He then made plans to defect to the only country that did not exploit the workers, Cuba. Oswald was a nobody, but he had intellectual ambitions, and was well read (Vincent Bugliosi says in his enormous book on the assassination "Reclaiming History", that “Oswald was a voracious reader of serious literature,” page 515).

In King's novel, while tapping Oswald's apartment, Epping discovers that Oswald reads "Atlas Shrugged". Why? “Know your enemy,” Oswald explains to one of his more sophisticated communist friends who also knows Ayn Rand.

Oswald gives his evaluation of Rand on page 432 in the European paperback edition. But there is more: on page 518, King tells us that “Once in a while he [Oswald] went to the public library, where he seemed to have given up Ayn Rand and Karl Marx in favor of Zane Grey novels.”

So, King lets Ayn Rand be the foremost enemy of communism, and he puts her importance on the same level as Karl Marx. This is in the novel, which is a fun read. As far as I know, the real Lee Harvey Oswald never read Ayn Rand. She is not mentioned in Bugliosi's book.

Stephen King has written more than 50 novels, most of them horror and the like, but he has also written more mainstream novels, and, according to the blurb, "11.22.63" is “his first mainstream time- travel novel.”
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg monkey 05 Aug 2012, 14:00

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQPgGZnYJo&feature=BFa&list=PL275B460E892671BB[/YouTube]
monkey

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 12 Aug 2012, 05:40

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQPgGZnYJo&feature=BFa&list=PL275B460E892671BB[/YouTube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQPgGZn ... 0E892671BB
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 15 Aug 2012, 09:48

På twitter nylig

✔@RobLowe Can someone explain the vitriol whenever Ayn Rand comes up? "Atlas" is the greatest motivator for the individual that I can imagine.

Det er visstnok skuespilleren Rob Lowe som har sendt denne.
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg monkey 15 Aug 2012, 15:28

Fra første sesong av den kritikerroste serien Mad Men:

monkey

Gå til Kunst og kultur

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 1 gjest