Anmeldelser av Atlas Shrugged fra 1957

Diskusjon om alt innen kunst og kultur, slik som litteratur, teater, film, musikk og dataspill.

Anmeldelser av Atlas Shrugged fra 1957

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 26 Aug 2012, 12:26

Denne artikkelen brinher utdrag fra anmeldelser av Atlas Shrugged da den kom ut i 1957.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/com ... 9894.story

Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged': What the critics had to say in 1957
Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged" has polarized opinion for more than 50 years. At the time it was published, critics weren't fans of the book.

There are two sides to every issue: One side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil." — Ayn Rand's hero John Galt speaking in "Atlas Shrugged"

Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged" has polarized opinion for more than 50 years. Its fans — including, until recently, vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan — applaud the book's celebration of rugged individualism and no-holds-barred capitalism. Its critics dismiss it as heartless, simplistic and elitist.

In the novel, many of the nation's most brilliant and innovative entrepreneurs and business leaders have disappeared, leaving the nation in chaos. It turns out they have all departed for "Galt's Gulch," a secret and parallel society formed to show an increasingly government-dominated America how much it needs pure capitalism and the men and women who drive it.

In a 2005 speech, Ryan cited Ayn Rand as a key reason he went into politics. He said that he had made "Atlas Shrugged" required reading for his staff, and that he still liked to check his "premises" against passages from the book to be sure "that what I'm believing and doing and advancing are square with the key principles of individualism." Lately, because Rand didn't believe in God and because "Atlas Shrugged" celebrates an adulterous relationship between two of its main characters, Ryan has distanced himself from his former remarks, telling the National Review recently, "I reject her philosophy. It's an atheist philosophy." These days, he said in the interview, he favors Thomas Aquinas over Rand.

But even with all the controversy about the message of "Atlas Shrugged," there's been little discussion of its literary merits. Is it a great book? Here's what the critics had to say at the time of its publication in fall 1957.

Vegard Martinsen

Gå til Kunst og kultur

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 1 gjest