President Obama

Diskusjon om politiske temaer fra det internasjonale nyhetsbildet.

Re: President Obama

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 06 Jul 2013, 06:54

MSM spør om Obama er kompetent:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/columns/ ... e-20130703

Obama's Crisis of Competence
The White House seems more comfortable stage-managing the news than dealing with the uncomfortable crises that inevitably crop up.

President Obama returned last night from a weeklong trip to Africa, seeking to position himself as part of ailing Nelson Mandela's legacy and generating strategic photo-ops. On the other side of the continent, Egypt is awash in revolution, with hundreds of thousands of protesters in Tahrir Square railing against the American-backed president, with some chanting slogans against the American passivity in the face of crisis. The Washington Post editorialized Tuesday: "For months, as the Morsi government has taken steps to consolidate power, quash critics and marginalize independent civil society groups, President Obama and his top aides have been largely silent in public. No effort was made to use the leverage of U.S. aid to compel a change of policy."

While the president was in Africa, Secretary of State John Kerry spent time in Israel, using valuable political capital trying to jump-start peace talks between the Israelis and the Palestinians, at a time when few serious foreign policy analysts believe it has any chance of succes—beyond garnering favorable press for trying. (The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg calls Kerry's a "delusion of the foreignpolicy elite" in his column today.) This, while the administration appears utterly feckless in neighboring Syria, where civil war worsens, chemical weapons-wielding dictator Bashar al-Assad strengthens his hold on power, and American influence dwindles. "The military situation in Syria is slipping away as the president ponders," Washington Post columnist Jackson Diehl wrote last week.

And on the domestic front, Obama was comfortably traveling on Air Force One when a Treasury Department functionary announced late Tuesday it would be delaying the mandate that businesses provide health care for their employee—a crucial component in the health care law that is shaping up as the president's main legacy. Rather than give a speech explaining the delay, and informing the public about how this could affect their health care options, the administration dropped the bombshell news right before the July Fourth holiday weekend.

The administration is facing a crisis of competence. At a time when trust in government is already at an all-time low, the events of this past week illustrate the limits of this president's power. The White House seems more comfortable stage-managing the news than dealing with the uncomfortable crises that inevitably crop up. (If there's anything to learn from the Benghazi crisis, it was the administration's attentiveness to detail in how to avoid blame in the aftermath of the crisis but a lack of focus in how to react as the crisis was occurring.)

The other worrying sign, is that politics is getting in the way of smart policymaking. Wary of the last war in the Middle East, Americans don't want the United States to intervene in Syria. The White House, heeding the polls, gladly obliged, even figuring out ways to forestall proof that the Syrian government used chemical weapons against its people—the red line that the president famously set. Obama doesn't want to say anything to take sides between the Egyptian president he backed and the growing throngs of protesters, and then take ownership in a crisis that's showing no signs of abating. Politically speaking, it's a lose-lose situation.
On health care, with the 2014 midterms approaching and control of the Senate in play, the administration decided to buy time by delaying the employer mandate until after the elections. Former HHS spokesman Nick Papas said the delay was "about minimizing paperwork, not politics." But it's awfully politically convenient to delay implementation of a law that's been growing more unpopular and whose implementation is shaping up to be a "train wreck," in the words of Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, a Democrat.

Obama's second-term legacy is shaping up to be more about avoiding crises than accomplishing big things. Salvage the core of a health care law, avoid worst-case scenarios in Egypt and Syria, and don't get in the way of his party's efforts to win Republican support for a landmark immigration reform plan. It's a far cry from the idealism of his second inaugural. But at this point, the president needs to simply show that he's paying attention to the fires burning around him.
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 11 Aug 2013, 06:47

http://nation.foxnews.com/2013/08/08/ob ... dia-ignore

Obama Makes Multiple Gaffes on Leno...But Media Ignore

ABC, CBS and NBC Overlook Obama's Gaffe-tastic Performance on Leno

By Geoffrey Dickens, Newsbusters.org

Barack Obama delivered one gaffe after another in his August 6 interview with Jay Leno, but the networks that usually mock every mistake or slip of the tongue made by Republicans ignored the President's verbal mishaps.

ABC's Good Morning America, CBS's This Morning and NBC's Today show, on Wednesday morning, all bypassed the chance to criticize Obama for: downplaying the threat of terrorism; falsely claiming Vladimir Putin once ran the KGB; placing the Atlantic coast cities of Savannah, Charleston and Jacksonville on the Gulf of Mexico; confusing the Winter Olympics with the Summer Olympics.

First up, on the August 6 edition of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Obama responded to the talk show host's question about the terrorist attacks in Benghazi, this way: "The odds of people dying in a terrorist attack obviously are still a lot lower than in a car accident, unfortunately." (It should be noted that Good Morning America did run this soundbite, but they let it go by without comment.)

JAY LENO: What do you say to those cynics who go, oh, this is an overreaction to Benghazi — how do you respond to that?

BARACK OBAMA: One thing I've tried to do as President is not over react, but make sure that as much as possible the American people understand that there are genuine risks out there. What's great about what we've seen with America over the last several years is how resilient we are. So after the Boston bombing, for example, the next day folks were out there, they're going to ball games. They are making sure that we're not reacting in a way that somehow shuts us down.
And that's the right reaction. Terrorists depend on the idea that we're going to be terrorized. And we're going to live our lives. And the odds of people dying in a terrorist attack obviously are still a lot lower than in a car accident, unfortunately. But there are things that we can do to make sure that we're keeping the pressure on these networks that would try to injure Americans. And the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think about when I go to bed is making sure that I'm doing everything I can to keep Americans safe. ...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffrey-d ... s-jay-leno
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 31 Okt 2013, 10:44

http://www.dagbladet.no/2013/10/31/nyhe ... /30070656/

Tidenes verste måling for Obama
Grepet om USA er i ferd med å rakne.

President Barack Obamas oppslutning er sterkt svekket og har aldri vært lavere, ifølge en meningsmåling i regi av NBC News og Wall Street Journal.

Bare 42 prosent mener den amerikanske presidenten gjør en god jobb. Det er fem prosentpoeng lavere enn forrige måling, som ble utført tidligere i oktober.

51 prosent av USAs velgere mener Obama gjør en dårlig en dårlig jobb.

Opphopning
Meningsmåling til NBC News og Wall Street Journal konkluderer med at ingen enkeltstående årsak forklarer Obamas svekkede oppslutning, men tilskriver det opphopning av tilbakeslag siden sommeren - påstander om spionasje av National Security Agency, debatten om Syrias kjemiske våpen og budsjettrabalderet.

Søndag skrev Wall Street Journal at Obama ikke visste om National Security Agencys (NSA) mer enn ti år lange overvåkingen av 35 statsledere før det ble avdekket av en intern gjennomgang og avsluttet i sommer.

Kritikken mot Obama vokser nå på mange hold.

- Obama er en tilskuerpresident. [uthevet her] I forrige uke hadde ikke Obama blitt fortalt om hvor store sprekkene var i Obamacare-nettsiden. I dag visste han ikke om NSA spionerte på den tyske forbundskansleren. Vil han ta noensinne ta ansvar, og i det hele tatt bli klar over, hvordan han styrer myndighetene? sier talsperson for den republikanske nasjonalkomiteen (RNC), Kirsten Kukowski, i en pressemelding.

Tomlene ned
- Personlig og politisk viser velgerne to tomler ned for Obama, sier Peter D. Hart, som har utført dagens undersøkelse sammen med Bill McInturff.

Ifølge målingen mener 74 prosent at Kongressen bidrar til å skape problemer i Washington stedet for å løse dem. Bare 22 prosent av velgerne tror USA er på vei i riktig retning.

Det er ikke bare spionasjen som har skapt trøbbel for Obama.

Landet endte i shutdown da han ikke fikk gjennomslag for helsereformen. Og da nettsida kom på lufta, gikk den ned.

Et skritt i Obamas prestisjeprosjekt «Obamacare» skulle lanseres med brask og bram 1. oktober, da nettsiden Healthcare.gov åpnet for at uforsikrede amerikanere kunne søke om helseforsikring. Pågangen ble så stor at siden krasjet, like etter den ble åpnet.
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 26 Mai 2014, 09:14

http://www.dagsavisen.no/nyemeninger/al ... ost_301623

En kommentar i Dagsavisen 26/5-14:

Obama på sidelinjen

Med sin forsiktige utenrikspolitikk gir Barack Obama det amerikanske folket det de vil ha. Det er ikke mye.

NEW YORK (Dagsavisen): Ukraina står på kanten av kollaps, og slites mellom øst og vest. Borgerkrigen i Syria har pågått i over 1.000 dager. Minst 150.000 mennesker er drept i en av vår tids mest brutale konflikter, mens millioner er tvunget på flukt. I Østkinahavet rasler Kina med sablene, til blant andre Japans og Vietnams fortvilelse. Hvor er USA og Barack Obama? Hvor er verdenspolitiet?

Ifølge kalenderen til Det hvite hus har USAs president Barack Obama hatt hendene fulle av kultur. I forrige uke deltok Obama på åpningen av et nytt basketballmuseum i New York. Dagen før åpnet han dørene for det amerikanske fotballaget Seattle Seahawks, vinnerne av årets Superbowl. Samme dag erklærte han en fjellkjede i New Mexico for nasjonalmonument. Dagen før det arrangerte han og Michelle Obama en talentkonkurranse for unge kunstnere i Det hvite hus.

En president må selvsagt også gjøre slike ting. Og innimellom kulturoppdragene tok Obama en telefon til Saudi-Arabia, der han uttrykte stor bekymring for situasjonen i Syria. Han har brukt andre arbeidsuker på å innføre strenge økonomiske sanksjoner mot Russland og fordømme Putins framferd i Ukraina. Men den glødende utenrikstalen Barack Obama leverte for ganske nøyaktig ett år siden virker langt unna.

Det er mulig det pågår intense debatter i det ovale kontor om Syria, Senkaku-øyene og Ukraina. De har i så fall, for en gangs skyld, ikke lekket til amerikansk presse. .....
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg Ultima_Thule 26 Des 2014, 09:49

No Matter How Hard He Tries, Obama Will Never Be as Bad as FDR

I’ve explained on many occasions that Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal was bad news for the economy. And the same can be said of Herbert Hoover’s policies, since he also expanded the burden of federal spending, raised tax rates, and increased government intervention.

So when I was specifically asked to take part in a symposium on Barack Obama, Franklin Roosevelt, and the New Deal, I quickly said yes.

I was asked to respond to this question: “Was that an FDR-Sized Stimulus?” Here’s some of what I wrote.

President Obama probably wants to be another FDR, and his policies share an ideological kinship with those that were imposed during the New Deal. But there’s really no comparing the 1930s and today. And that’s a good thing. As explained by Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell, President Roosevelt’s policies are increasingly understood to have had a negative impact on the American economy. …what should have been a routine or even serious recession became the Great Depression.

In other words, my assessment is that Obama is a Mini-Me version of FDR, which is a lot better (or, to be more accurate, less worse) than the real thing.

To be sure, Obama wants higher tax rates, and he has expanded government control over the economy. And the main achievement of his first year was the so-called stimulus, which was based on the same Keynesian theory that a nation can become richer by switching money from one pocket to another. …Obama did get his health plan through Congress, but its costs, fortunately, pale in comparison to Social Security and its $30 trillion long-run deficit. And the Dodd-Frank bailout bill is peanuts compared to all the intervention of Roosevelt’s New Deal. In other words, Obama’s policies have nudged the nation in the wrong direction and slowed economic growth. FDR, by contrast, dramatically expanded the burden of government and managed to keep us in a depression for a decade. So thank goodness Barack Obama is no Franklin Roosevelt.

The last sentence of the excerpt is a perfect summary of my remarks. I think Obama’s policies have been bad for the economy, but he has done far less damage than FDR because his policy mistakes have been much smaller.

Moreover, Obama has never proposed anything as crazy as FDR’s “Economic Bill of Rights.” As I pointed out in my article, this “would have created a massive entitlement state—putting America on a path to becoming a failed European welfare state a couple of decades before European governments made the same mistake.”

On the other hand, subsequent presidents did create that massive entitlement state and Obama added another straw to the camel’s back with Obamacare.

And he is rigidly opposed to the entitlement reforms that would save America from becoming another Greece.

So maybe I didn’t give him enough credit for being as bad as FDR.

P.S. Here’s some 1930s economic humor, and it still applies today. And I also found this cartoon online.
Bilde

And here’s a good Mini-Me image involving Jimmy Carter. I wasn’t able to find one of Obama and FDR.

If anybody has the skill to create such an image, please send it my way. Bilde

P.P.S. The symposium also features an excellent contribution from Professor Lee Ohanian of UCLA.

And from the left, it’s interesting to see that Dean Baker of the Center for Economic and Policy Research basically agrees with me.

But only in the sense that he also says Obama is a junior-sized version of FDR. Dean actually thinks Obama should have embraced his inner-FDR and wasted even more money on an even bigger so-called stimulus.

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/no-matter-how-hard-he-tries-obama-will-never-be-as-bad-as-fdr/ (med hyperlenker)
Ultima_Thule

Innlegg nico 01 Feb 2015, 18:48

http://www.fvn.no/nyheter/utenriks/uten ... 753302.ece

Obama vil skattlegge selskapers utenlandske inntekt

Washington (NTB-Reuters): USAs president Barack Obama legger mandag fram budsjettforslag om at amerikanske selskaper skal betale en engangsskatt på 14 prosent på inntekter oppsamlet og lagret i utlandet.

I tillegg vil han at selskapene i framtiden må betale minimum 19 prosent skatt på utenlandske inntekter, uavhengig av om midlene blir hentet tilbake til USA.

Det er ikke navngitte kilder nær Obama som kommer med opplysningene søndag, dagen før presidenten skal legge fram budsjettet for 2016.

Ifølge kildene skal rundt 2.000 milliarder dollar, rundt 15.500 milliarder norske kroner, bli taksert med en engangs, 14 prosents skatt. Til sammen vil inntekten da bli på cirka 2.200 milliarder norske kroner - 2.200.000.000.000.

Inntektene som skal skattlegges, om Obama får det som han vil, er midler som USA-baserte selskaper har tjent i utlandet, men som ikke er hentet hjem til USA. Skatten skal brukes til å finansiere infrastruktur, ifølge kildene.

- Denne overgangsskatten betyr at selskapene må betale amerikansk skatt med en gang, snarere enn å kunne utsette betalingen på ubestemt tid, uttaler kilden. (©NTB)
You can't put an "I wish" over an "It is"

- Leonard Peikoff
nico

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 03 Feb 2015, 14:59

...skal brukes til å finansiere infrastruktur, ifølge kildene....

Altså ikke til å redusere gjelden ...
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg Erik 24 Feb 2015, 14:35

Bilde
Erik

Innlegg Erik 19 Mai 2015, 09:02

President Obama var stjernen i en stupid seanse på Georgetown University, 12/5-2015. Tema: Eradicating poverty.

Her avlegger presidenten Ayn Rand en visitt:
Fra hjemmesiden til The White House:
''And then you’ve got cold-hearted, free market, capitalist types who are reading Ayn Rand and -- (laughter) -- think everybody are moochers. And I think the truth is more complicated.''
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... university

Den samme kommentaren utlegges slik her av Kyrel Zantonavitch:
''On May 12, 2015, at Georgetown University (Washington, DC), at an intellectual symposium on eradicating poverty, President Barack Obama spoke of: "...cold-hearted, free market, uh, capitalist-types who, uh, you know, are reading Ayn Rand...[slow derisive laughter from crowd]...and, uh, you know, think everybody's moochers [sic]..."
Kyrel Zantonavitch Kommenterer videre:
''Notwithstanding the contemptuous amusement of that brain-dead, empty-souled room of baboons, Ayn Rand is the greatest philosopher that ever lived during the past two thousand years. She knew far more about politics, government, and the law -- let alone about enriching the poor -- than everyone at that conference combined. Thus the hopeless nitwits and pitiful lowlifes at that symposium need to read Ayn Rand and learn from her -- not chuckle at some inaccurate, primitive caricature of her ideas. Lazy, arrogant, malicious, dimbulb Obama needs to study her most of all.''
http://www.solopassion.com/node/10051

Vi har lenge visst på hvilket plan Obama befinner seg, men opplysende i tillegg å høre det fra ''the horses own mouth.

Michael Hurd leverer en kort og konsis respons:

''Capitalism is practical because it respects the sovereignty and efficacy of man’s mind and body. Ayn Rand expressed this more brilliantly than anyone I have ever read, and I have read a lot of thinkers.
Obama doesn’t have a clue.''
https://drhurd.com/53597/

Keiseren er fortsatt naken.
Erik

Innlegg Erik 06 Sep 2015, 22:52

Bilde
Erik

Forrige

Gå til Utenrikspolitikk

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 6 gjester