Hellas

Diskusjon om politiske temaer fra det internasjonale nyhetsbildet.

Re: Hellas

Innlegg QIQrrr 25 Sep 2011, 03:07

Spiegel Online, September 23, 2011: Small business owners in Greece have long been the backbone of the economy and reliable taxpayers in a country where tax evasion is rampant. That, though, is now changing. Self-employed workers like Angelos Belitsakos have had enough of rising taxes and have begun to revolt. [...] These days, even communists, unionists and leftists are raising a public outcry against the new taxes. [...] In an interview with SPIEGEL ONLINE, Greek Economy Minister Michalis Chrysochoidis said: "The question is how we can create a feeling of solidarity. One for all and all for one, that's what it's about now." Still, Chrysochoidis would not answer his own question. For the moment, he said, it doesn't look like the government can count on many of their fellow Greeks being willing to sacrifice themselves for the interest of the state. In fact, people are abandoning the government in droves - 'We Won't Pay': Greece's Middle Class Revolt against Austerity
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

"Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted" - Franz Kafka
Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Greeks May Look North To Iceland's Debt Default

Innlegg Panther 22 Okt 2011, 14:32

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/world/europe/6629-greeks-may-look-north-to-iceland-s-debt-default.html

21 October 2011 John Browne

When faced with the insurmountable and reckless debts, a cascading recession, and the demands of the international political elite for more debt and austerity, the government of Iceland put it to their citizens. In early 2009, with a vote of 90 percent, Icelanders chose to default, leaving foreign investors, bankers and governments, holding much of the losses.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Innlegg QIQrrr 25 Okt 2011, 03:06

De dominerende (og ikke minst søkkrike) trossamfunnene har nå en gyllen mulighet til å etterleve det altruistiske idealet de forkynner:

The Telegraph, October 21, 2011: The Greek Orthodox church – Greece's second largest landowner after the government – has come under fire for not paying enough in taxes on its assets. [...] The scale of the Greek Orthodox Church's assets shed light on this resentment. The exact value of the Church of Greece, including land, property, artifacts, commercial revenue and shares in government companies, is unknown but experts estimate the 500-plus monasteries, 7,945 parishes, 130,000 hectares of land and 1.5pc stake in the Bank of Greece is worth €7bn to €15bn - Cash-strapped Greece turns to God for help
Vatikanet har imidlertid helt andre planer.
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

"Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted" - Franz Kafka
Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 29 Okt 2011, 08:57

The Miami Herald, October 28, 2011: Greeks have launched a wave of civil disobedience against the embattled government's austerity measures designed to appease international creditors, which provided rescue loans to the country. The latest example of rebellion is the Athens municipality of Nea Ionia, where authorities are urging people not to pay a much reviled new property tax being charged through electricity bills. "Our constituents can't pay, they don't have the ability to," Nea Ionia mayor Iraklis Gotsis said. "We consider the new tax to be illegal. But in essence, the truth is our people just can't pay" - Civil disobedience in Greece grows over austerity
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 01 Nov 2011, 20:49

Merkelig:

Athens News, November 1, 2011: In a surprise move, the defence minister proposed on Tuesday evening the complete replacement of the country’s top brass. [...] It is understood that the personnel changes took many members of the government and of the armed forces by surprise - Top brass replaced
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 11 Nov 2011, 21:22

Reuters, November 11, 2011: Traders said Greece has turned to Iran as the supplier of last resort despite rising pressure from Washington and Brussels to stifle trade as part of a campaign against Tehran's nuclear program. The near paralysis of oil dealings with Greece, which has four refineries, shows how trade in Europe could stall due to a breakdown in trust caused by the euro zone debt crisis, which is threatening to spread to further countries. "Companies like us cannot deal with them. There is too much risk. Maybe independent traders are more geared up for that," said a trader with a major international oil company. "Our finance department just refuses to deal with them. Not that they didn't pay. It is just a precaution," said a trader with a major trading house. "We couldn't find any bank willing to finance us. No bank wants to finance a deal for them. We missed some good opportunities there," said a third trader - Greece turns to Iranian oil as default fears deter trade
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 01 Mai 2012, 02:05

Reuters, April 29, 2012: Greece opened its first purpose-built detention centre for illegal migrants on Sunday in Athens, a week before a national election where illegal immigration has emerged as a key issue. [...] Amygdaleza is the first of about 50 camps that Greek officials say will be built by mid-2013. It consists of dozens of containers that were originally set up to house people hit by natural disasters such as earthquakes. "We are sending a message in every direction that the country is not unfenced anymore," Civil Protection Minister Mihalis Chrysohoidis said at a rally in Athens - Greece opens detention camp for immigrants as election looms

Bilde
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 12 Mai 2012, 08:54

Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 16 Jun 2012, 15:01

"In Greece, the public sector employs about one-third of all workers. Even the country's supposed "austerity" program has been designed to protect the public sector. In the first three years of the economic crisis, 470,000 private-sector workers in Greece have lost their jobs. How many government workers lost their jobs? None. A few months ago, the country was convulsed with riots when the government finally agreed to lay off a mere 15,000 government workers."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-greek ... 29009.html

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-on- ... ice=mobile
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 23 Jul 2012, 08:39

- Hellas er i «Den store depresjonen»

http://www.nettavisen.no/nyheter/article3439208.ece

Gresk statsminister fortviler over økonomien.

Søndag hadde den greske statsministeren et møte med tidligere president i USA, Bill Clinton.

- Du hadde Den store depresjonen i USA. Det er akkurat det vi gjennomgår i Hellas akkurat nå. Det er vår versjon av depresjonen, sa statsminister Antonis Samaras til Clinton ifølge nyhetsbyrået Reuters.

Uttalelsen kommer to dager før Hellas' långivere, IMF, EU og Den europeiske sentralbanken (ECB), den såkalte «troikaen», legger fram en vurdering om Hellas gjennomfører de økonomiske reformene de har lovet.

Hellas vil ha mer tid
Reformene går ut på å redusere budsjettunderskuddet til under tre prosent av BNP innen utgangen av 2014, fra 9,3 prosent ved utgangen av 2011, som innebærer kutt på rundt 11,7 milliarder Euro.

Dessuten er Hellas nødt til å tilbakebetale 3,1 milliarder i obligasjonslån i august.

I 2012 er det ventet at statsgjelden i Hellas vil nå 198% av BNP fra 165 prosent av BNP ved utgangen av 2011, på 356 milliarder Euro.

Hellas håper på å få utbetalt 12,5 milliarder euro i august og september, samtidig som de ønsker ytterligere to år til å gjennomføre reformene.

IMF kan trekke seg ut
Men ifølge den tyske storavisen Der Spiegel har IMF satt seg leie på å prøve å hjelpe Hellas. De antar at en utsettelse vil i verste fall vil koste «troikaen» rundt 50 milliarder Euro.

Dersom IMF trekker seg ut, vil sannsynligvis andre land gjøre det også, som Tyskland, Nederland og Finland, siden de ikke vil bidra uten IMF sin involvering, skriver Athen

Gresk økonomi er i år ventet å krympe for femte år på rad, og mer enn hver femte greker, over en million mennesker, er arbeidsledige, ifølge NTB.

- For mye fokus på budsjettkutt
Bill Clinton, som dro til landet for å promotere et program som skal gi rundt 100 millioner euro i lån til greske bedrifter, kritiserte långiverne for å fokusere for mye på budsjettkutt og forlange sikkerhet for lånene her og nå.

- Folk trenger noe å se fram til når de står opp om morgenen. Unge grekere trenger å tro på noe, slik at de kan skape seg selv en fremtid i landet. Det er mer sannsynlig at Aten betaler tilbake gjelden etter at de har kommet seg på beina, sa Clinton ifølge Reuters.

På vei ut av Eurosonen
Tyskland er Hellas sin største kreditor. Rikskansler Angela Merkel sier at hun vil avvente rapporten fra «troikaen», før hun bestemmer seg for Tysklands videre bidrag til Hellas.

I juni regnet finansgruppen Citigroup med at det er 50-75 prosents sjanse for at Hellas ikke kommer til å følge reformene og vil forlate Eurosonen og reintrodusere drakmer som valuta.

Dette vil gjøre at utenlandsgjelden dras opp til 400 prosent av BNP, og dermed blir umulig å håndtere for Hellas.
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg QIQrrr 01 Aug 2012, 11:49

Reuters, July 31, 2012: Greeks, whose country is facing bankruptcy, can no longer afford the expensive customary cash-filled "fakelaki" or "little envelope" bribes paid to public sector workers, according to an official. Greece, dependent on international aid to remain solvent, has struggled for years with rampant corruption that has hampered efforts to raise taxes and reform its stricken economy. The health sector and the tax authorities topped the country's corruption rankings for 2011, said a report by Leandros Rakintzis, tasked with uncovering wrongdoing in the public sector. "While the crisis has not reduced corruption itself, it has reduced the price of corruption," Rakintzis told Skai TV after publishing his annual report. "They (civil servants) have lowered their price," he added - Greeks can no longer afford paying expensive bribes
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 05 Aug 2012, 10:59

Aftenposten, 04.08.2012: Politiet i Hellas har pågrepet rundt 2.000 papirløse immigranter som skal sendes ut av landet. Målet med operasjonen er å «sende dem tilbake til deres hjemland, stenge grensene og sørge for at Aten igjen kan bli en lovlydig by hvor innbyggerne nyter livskvalitet», sier politiets talsmann Christos Manouras. Totalt 2.000 politimenn har deltatt i aksjonen i Aten, mens ytterligere 2.500 har vært utplassert ved den greske grensen til Tyrkia. Onsdag opplyste politiet at de tredoblet antallet vakter langs grensen til Tyrkia for å hindre en tilstrømning av syriske flyktninger. Manouras sier utvisning av illegale innvandrere er nødvendig for «landets overlevelse». - Vi må sende et budskap om at Hellas ikke har råd til å gi arbeid og gjestfrihet til personer som ønsker å immigrere, sier han. Hellas er transittland for mange som ønsker å ta seg videre til ulike land i Europa. Under den økonomiske krisen har de sosiale forholdene forverret seg i landet, og økningen av papirløse immigranter har ført til økt fremmedhat og rasisme - Gresk politi aksjonerer mot papirløse i Aten
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 14 Aug 2012, 19:36

ekathimerini.com, August 14, 2012: Nearly 500 racially motivated attacks have been carried out over the past six months in Greece according to the Migrant Workers Association, as immigrants say that the rising wave of xenophobic violence has left them afraid to walk the streets. The victims were in most cases attacked with steel rods, knives and brass knuckles, the association says - Nearly 500 hate attacks carried out in the last six months
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 21 Aug 2012, 04:10

Spiegel Online, August 20, 2012: The Greek prime minister has spent weeks searching for ways to come up with 11.5 billion euros to satisfy international conditions for emergency aid. Now, though, SPIEGEL has learned that the shortfall may be as much as 14 billion euros. German politicians are becoming increasingly exasperated - Greek Shortfall Growing Ever Larger

Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 28 Aug 2012, 21:52

Reuters, August 28, 2012: Greece plans to set up "special economic zones" to attract private investment and help lift its debt-laden economy out of depression, the government said on Tuesday. The zones would offer investors tax and administrative advantages. Athens is already in talks with the European Commission to get approval for the move, Development Minister Costis Hatzidakis told a news conference. [...] Hatzidakis urged the country's EU partners to accept Greece's plan to establish these zones. "There are already objections outside Greece because it (the zones) would give the country a comparative advantage," he said - Greece plans "special economic zones" to boost growth
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

ForrigeNeste

Gå til Utenrikspolitikk

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 2 gjester