Post 9/11

Diskusjon om politiske temaer fra det internasjonale nyhetsbildet.

Post 9/11

Innlegg Panther 31 Aug 2011, 08:54

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/war-peace/sept-11th/6557-our-post-9-11-world-a-ten-year-retrospective.html

Our Post 9/11 World: What Might Have Been
30 August 2011 Edward Cline

Fiction writer and cultural commentator Edward Cline remembers 9.11 and what might have been.

New York, Sept. 11 – The new World Trade Center towers, now six years old, rise in a silvery shimmer over lower Manhattan, both fifteen stories taller than the originals, commanding a plaza and an assortment of lower towers. In the daytime, only the plaza, chock full of figures hurrying purposefully on their numerous errands, gives evidence of the unseen commerce that occurs inside the fully occupied towers. IRT and PATH trains rumble through the lower levels of the plaza. Taxis rarely idle for long in the three designated cab stands that border the plaza as they skitter in and out of what seems like yellow conveyor belts of business, dropping off and picking up passengers. Bands, orchestras, and soloists usually occupy the small, sunken amphitheater; the plaza is rarely without music. Vendors serve hot dogs, knishes and ice cream from kiosks and wheeled carts. Dozens of stores, restaurants and fast food shops populate the plaza’s lower levels, even a movie theater and a bookstore.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

9/11: Ten Years Later, America is Killing Itself

Innlegg Panther 11 Sep 2011, 11:54

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/war-peace/sept-11th/6575-9-11-ten-years-later-america-is-killing-itself.html

10 September 2011 Michael Hurd

Today marks the tenth anniversary of the attack on the United States known as 9/11. A decade later, America is not at war with an external enemy as much as it is with itself.

We live in a mixed economy, or a mixed social system. This means we are neither a free country, nor an enslaved one. We're what most people claim to want: Somewhere in the middle. If the middle between two principled extremes is always the right way, then the United States of 2011 is perfect. So how come we aren't?

Philosopher Ayn Rand wrote that a mixed economy is a nation "in the process of committing suicide." To some, including herself, this was obvious decades ago. To others, it's only starting to become obvious. Day after day, the stock market lurches up and down in wild swings. For the first time in American history, no new jobs are being created, and the credit rating of the United States government has collapsed. The price of gold skyrockets as people rush to find an alternative to the impending fall of the dollar. Budget deficits explode and the national debt is too high to count. Spending by government grows exponentially even as Congress claims to be cutting spending. The President puts a rational face on it all, as he plainly spins it in ways that simply do not correspond to even the most obvious facts. People nervously applaud him with the thought, “If our leader is so out of touch, what will become of us all?”
These are most certainly images of a nation committing suicide.

The analogy, you might say, is not perfect. Usually a person committing suicide intends to do so -- but not always. Consider a crack cocaine addict. A crack cocaine addict is in the process of committing suicide. Mental health professionals call addiction “slow suicide.” Sooner or later, absent a reversal in his destructive habits, the crack cocaine addict is going to die. "Best" case, he'll go on living biologically but his life will be worthless.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

A New Yorker Remembers the World Trade Center

Innlegg Panther 12 Sep 2011, 08:05

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/war-peace/sept-11th/6577-a-new-yorker-remembers-the-world-trade-center.html

11 September 2011 Andrew West

As I quickly walked away, I did not want to look back at its towers, battered and bearing the scars of its evil attackers. I do not want to remember the WTC burning or falling, for that was not its essence. I want to remember its great days, shining in the sun, soaring proudly upwards from the humble earth, holding aloft great men pursuing great accomplishments.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Gå til Utenrikspolitikk

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 2 gjester