Global warming strikes again

Diskusjon om generelle politiske temaer, som ikke passer inn under innenriks/utenriks.

Global warming strikes again

Innlegg Amund Farberg 27 Jun 2007, 16:53

http://www.nettavisen.no/verden/article1157482.ece

Nettavisens artikkel skrev:Innbyggerne i Sør-Afrikas største by, Johannesburg, våknet onsdag til kulderekord og snø i gatene for første gang på mer enn 20 år, ifølge Reuters. Det var én minusgrad i byen.

Også i byene Bloemfontein og Kimberley ble det kulderekorder i natt, med henholdsvis -4 og -3 grader.

Jeg skulle ønske disse nyhetene påførte viroene et forklaringsproblem, men de har vel for lenge siden omdøpt "global oppvarming" til "global klimaforandring"...
That government is best which governs least.
Amund Farberg

Re: Global warming strikes again

Innlegg Martin Johansen 28 Jun 2007, 11:19

farke skrev:(miljø-aktivistene) har vel for lenge siden omdøpt "global oppvarming" til "global klimaforandring"...

Omdøpningen av "global oppvarming" til "globale klimaendringer" belyser mentaliteten til miljø-aktivistene. Det er ikke oppvarming de er bekymret for, det er det faktum at mennesket setter sine spor i naturen.

Hva betyr egentlig "klimaendringer"? Det betyr jo at det har vært en forandring. Men en forandring i forhold til hva? Hvilken tidsperiode er den korrekte for jorda? Svaret fra miljø-aktivistene er jorda uten mennesker.

Jeg nekter å tro at en miljø-aktivist kan protestere mot at klimaet endrer seg i forhold til et slags gjennomsnitt. Det de snakker om er menneskeskapte endringer. Alstå endringer i endringene som ellers ikke ville vært der.

Utrykket "klimaendringer" gir enda mer spillerom en global oppvarming. Global oppvarming kan jo argumenteres mot ved å vise til global nedkjøling. Men å stoppe de globale klimaendringene er en helt umulig oppgave. Dermed har miljø-aktivistene skaffet seg en blank-sjekk på hvor mye de ønsker offret. Men de mister samtidig all teorietisk troverdighet.

En slik endring i bekrepsbruken kan vel kanskje signalisere en miljø-bevegelse i motgang?
Martin Johansen

Innlegg Demian 28 Jun 2007, 11:33

Martin Johansen skrev:Utrykket "klimaendringer" gir enda mer spillerom en global oppvarming. Global oppvarming kan jo argumenteres mot ved å vise til global nedkjøling. Men å stoppe de globale klimaendringene er en helt umulig oppgave. Dermed har miljø-aktivistene skaffet seg en blank-sjekk på hvor mye de ønsker offret. Men de mister samtidig all teorietisk troverdighet.

Meget godt poeng, Martin.
Demian

Innlegg Ultima_Thule 05 Jan 2014, 16:08

The top seven global warming alarmist setbacks in 2013

Hold your champagne glasses high this holiday season, because the end of 2013 marks the 17th year without global warming.

This year has been trying for climate scientists and environmentalists who have been trying hard to explain away the 17-year hiatus in global warming and link “extreme weather” to rising greenhouse gas emissions — despite strong evidence to the contrary. There has been a breakdown in the manmade global warming consensus, and some even argue we are headed for an ice age.

In honor of the 17th year without global warming, The Daily Caller News Foundation has put together seven setbacks for global warming alarmism.

1) Studies show that the world was warmer than it is today during the Roman Empire and when the Vikings were plundering Europe and North America. In fact, even in the 19th Century, there were discussions surrounding the fact that the Vikings could settle the northernmost reaches of Greenland and North America because there was less ice coverage.

2) During the second week in December, the U.S. saw more than 2000 record low temperatures and record snowfalls, according to the National Weather Service and HamWeather records center. There were 606 record low temperatures, 1,234 low maximum temperatures and 285 record snowfalls across the country. In the meantime there were only 98 high temperature records and 141 high minimum temperature records.

3) Satellite data shows that the polar bears have at least one reason to be happy this year – Arctic sea ice coverage was up 50 percent over last year’s record low coverage. Contrary to Al Gore’s prediction that there would be no polar ice cap by this year, sea ice coverage spanned nearly 2,100 cubic miles by the end of this year’s melting season, up from about 1,400 cubic last year.

4) Global cooling is on the way, according to an increasing number of scientists. German scientists have predicted that based on declining sunspot activity and natural climate oscillation the world will cool over the next century. Temperatures will eventually drop to levels corresponding with the “little ice age” of 1870.

5) Other scientists have also been coming around to the global cooling side of things. The BBC reported that Professor Mike Lockwood of the Reading University predicts that at the current rate of decline in solar activity, another “Little Ice Age” could envelope Northern Europe.

6) The United Nations climate bureaucracy’s latest global warming report was called “hilarious” by a leading scientist from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dr. Richard Lindzen said the UN’s report “has truly sunk to level of hilarious incoherence” because they continue to proclaim with ever greater certainty that mankind is causing global warming, despite their models continually being wrong.

“Their excuse for the absence of warming over the past 17 years is that the heat is hiding in the deep ocean,” Lindzen said. “However, this is simply an admission that the models fail to simulate the exchanges of heat between the surface layers and the deeper oceans.”

7) The Senate testimony of Dr. Roger Pielke of the University of Colorado completely undercut environmentalists and Democrats trying to claim that global warming was causing “extreme weather.”

“It is misleading and just plain incorrect to claim that disasters associated with hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or droughts have increased on climate timescales either in the United States or globally,” Pielke said. “It is further incorrect to associate the increasing costs of disasters with the emission of greenhouse gases.”

The other witnesses on the panel did not refute Pielke’s data.

Gå til orginalartikkelen for lenker http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/20/the-top-seven-global-warming-alarmist-setbacks-in-2013/
Ultima_Thule

Innlegg Ultima_Thule 08 Jan 2014, 03:36

Kylan tvingar isbjörnar och pingviner att stanna inomhus

Det är rejält kallt i USA just nu och rekordtemperaturerna på minus 30 grader har orsakat ett flertal dödsfall. Men det är inte bara människor som ligger i riskzonen. Även isbjörnar och pingviner rekommenderas att hålla sig inomhus.

Bilde

På Chicagos Lincoln Park Zoo fick isbjörnen Anana igår spendera dagen inomhus, rapporterar CNN. Med temperaturer på rekordlåga minus 27 grader var skötarna oroliga för isbjörnens hälsa. Vanligtvis kan isbjörnar klara av så här låga temperaturer men det amerikanska köket har inte varit tillräckligt för att bygga upp de fettreserver som isbjörnens vanliga säl-diet klarar.

Även i ett kylslaget Pittsburgh tvingade de arktiska vindarna djurlivet flytta in. På stadens fågelzoo. National Aviary, blev pingvinerna flyttade för att skydda dem mot den extrema kylan.

http://www.metro.se//nyheter/kylan-tvingar-isbjornar-och-pingviner-att-stanna-inomhus/EVHnag!LuXHaopknpsxs/
Ultima_Thule

Innlegg Ultima_Thule 09 Jan 2014, 19:26

Heavy snow in Europe leads to road, rail and air transport chaos

Bilde
A railway is covered in deep snow in Caen, northwestern France. A heavy snowstorm hit northwestern Europe, paralysing transport, knocking out power to thousands and leaving hundreds stranded in their cars. Frankfurt's airport closed, trains stopped running under the English Channel, and the French army was ordered to help clear roads - all because of a sudden dump of oddly late snowfall in the region.

Bilde
Wrecked cars and trucks are pictured after a multi-vehicle pile-up on Autobahn 45 near Muenzenberg, Germany. At least 100 vehicles were involved in the pile-up on the slippery highway, leaving several dozen people injured

Bilde
The roof of the exhibition hall in Caen, northwestern France, is pictured after it collapsed during a heavy snow storm. Snowdrifts in the area piled up 60 centimetres (almost two feet) deep as winds reached 100 kilometres (more than 60 miles) an hour.

Bilde
A man shovels snow off his car in a street of Cambrai, northern France

Bilde
Parked cars are covered in snow in Duesseldorf, western Germany

Bilde
A farmer uses his tractor to tow a car stuck in the snow in Locon, northern France

Flere bilder: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/9925291/Heavy-snow-in-Europe-leads-to-road-rail-and-air-transport-chaos.html

US weather: all 50 states fall below freezing

All 50 of America’s states recorded temperatures below freezing at some point on Tuesday and even the polar bear at Chicago zoo spent most of the day indoors, as bitterly cold air gripped the country

Bilde
Garret Kelenske, 49, works to remove snow on the sidewalk along Hoyt Street near Sacred Heart Church in Muskegon Heights, Michigan, here temperatures are well below freezing, but not as cold as Embarrass, Minnesota

Parts of the country which were not victims of the “Polar vortex” that afflicted swathes of the US none the less suffered abnormally chilly weather as US authorities declared it the coldest Jan 7 on record.

The lowest temperature was reported at Embarrass, Minnesota, a township of just over 600 people, where the thermometer fell to -35F (-37C). Once the wind chill factor was taken into account, the temperature felt as low as -45F (-43C).

On Hawaii the weather station on Mauna Kea, the island’s highest mountain, recorded a temperature of 21F (-6C), and temperatures plummeted at all levels in the southern states of the US mainland.

“It’s not unprecedented, but it is unusual,” a spokesman for the US National Weather Service said. “Normally either Florida, Texas or Louisiana stays above freezing.”

Bilde
Ice covers rocks and brush on the break wall at Edgewater Park in Cleveland

In Chicago, the zoo’s polar bear, Anana, which has less insulating fat than if it lived in the wild, was kept in its heated indoor enclosure all day on Monday and only ventured outside briefly yesterday as the thermometer fell to -16F (-27C).

At least 21 people are believed to have died across the USA as a result of the cold blast which has crippled much of the country. According to the latest official figures 187 million people have been affected by the severe weather.

Across the country wind chill warnings were in place for 32 states from Montana in the north to Florida in the south east.

School closures were reported from as far afield as Minneapolis and Chicago in the north to Atlanta and northern Florida in the south.

The eastern seaboard, which had escaped the initial impact of the Polar vortex, was also affected. Andrew Cuomo, governor of New York state, closed swathes of the state highways as a precaution.

Bilde
An Ann Arbor firefighter covered in ice works to put out a fire that engulfed Happy's Pizza in Ann Arbor, Michigan

In Illinois the governor, Pat Quinn, declared a state of emergency as the state wrestled with the most severe temperatures in two decades. So cold was the temperature that water thrown into the air turned into ice before landing on the ground.

In Iowa, Tom Rauen became an internet sensation when he posted a film on YouTube showing a wet T-shirt turning into ice in a minute.

Bilde
Ice hangs on a fire hydrant and hose as Ann Arbor firefighters work to put out a fire at Happy's Pizza in Ann Arbor, Michigan

“I thought, 'Why not do something a little different?’ and wondered what would happen if we froze a T-shirt? How long would it take to freeze?

“I thought it would be cool if I could shape it into what it would look like if someone was wearing it. I left it standing up on the sidewalk for a while and when I brought it inside there was a little tear in it - just from it freezing, it had become it very brittle. I took the tear and just ripped the T-shirt in half like it was a piece of paper. It was crazy.”

Bilde

The cold weather in the south triggered fears the Florida citrus crop could be hit. America’s transport system continued to be hit. In Illinois, more than 500 passengers were stuck on three Amtrak trains overnight after they were trapped by the snow.

Air travel was also hit with thousands of flights cancelled across the country.

Bilde
An aerial view of Chicago being engulfed by the freezing weather caused by the 'polar vortex'

However according to US weather forecasters the worst is over, with temperatures expected to climb slowly by the end of the week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10557293/US-weather-all-50-states-fall-below-freezing.html

Mer om "den globale oppvarmingen":

- US in deep freeze as severe cold weather bites – video, The Guardian

- How do you photograph cold? 14 pictures documenting the polar vortex (bilder), The Guardian
Ultima_Thule

Gå til Generell politikk

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 2 gjester