Atlas Shrugged

Diskusjon om psykologi, epistemologi og metafysikk (fri vilje, begrepsdannelse, o.l.).

Re: Atlas Shrugged

Innlegg QIQrrr 09 Sep 2009, 08:28

Bilde
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

"Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted" - Franz Kafka
Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 12 Sep 2009, 06:55

QIQrrr skrev:Bilde

Denne var virkelig morsom!
Vegard Martinsen

Innlegg QIQrrr 17 Sep 2009, 09:38

CNBC, Thurs. Sept. 17 2009: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are famous fans of author and philospher Arn Rand, with Stephen Moore, Wall Street Journal editorial board and Yaron Brook, Ayn Rand Institute - Hollywood's Rand Fans

Brook er ofte å se på amerikansk TV.
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

"Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted" - Franz Kafka
Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 06 Nov 2009, 05:09

“Atlas Shrugged” Survey Delivers Surprising Results

Ayn Rand Institute, November 4, 2009

A recent Zogby national online survey indicates that 24.8 percent of the 2,232 respondents have read Ayn Rand’s novel “Atlas Shrugged.”

When asked why they chose to read “Atlas Shrugged,” 37.6 percent of respondents in the online survey said it was recommended by a friend or colleague, 18.4 percent had it assigned or recommended in school, 9.9 percent read or heard about it in a print/Internet article or radio/TV program, 8.4 percent saw it in a library, and 1.9 percent noticed it in a bookstore.

The survey also indicated that 19.8 percent of respondents have read Ayn Rand’s “The Fountainhead,” 6.9 percent “Anthem,” 4 percent “We the Living,” and 3 percent “The Virtue of Selfishness.”

In the past two years, national telephone surveys of about 1,100 people have indicated that 8.1 percent of respondents had read “Atlas Shrugged.” The latest online survey was randomly drawn from a pool of several hundred thousand people while the telephone surveys were drawn at random from larger lists of people who own telephones.
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 27 Nov 2009, 09:51

Fox News, Onkar Ghate, November 26, 2009: From the pages of The New York Times to the signs of tea party protesters to Jon Stewart’s "Daily Show," Ayn Rand is everywhere. The Economist reported on the dramatic surge of sales of "Atlas Shrugged," likely to exceed 400,000 copies this year, crediting the eerie parallels between Rand’s story and governmental takeovers of the financial markets. But her appeal reaches much deeper than politics. As an educator I can attest to the fact that she is wildly popular among the young, who typically are not very political. Some 27,000 students submitted entries this year to essay contests on her novels and, in the past three years alone, high-school teachers have requested over 900,000 copies of "Anthem" and "The Fountainhead" to use in their classrooms. They know that students respond to her stories and heroes as to few other books - Why Ayn Rand Still Resonates
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 09 Des 2009, 09:00

ABC Fired Stossel?

John Stossel, December 9, 2009

People keep forwarding me emails and blog posts saying ABC fired me. Internet forums claim I was fired because I aired a story about the downside of government-controlled health care. This is silly. It's not even logical. No one can broadcast anything on "20/20" without ABC's approval.

The truth is that my departure from ABC was by mutual consent.

I left to go to the Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network because I want more time to report on free markets and economic liberty, the kind of reporting I do in this column. With two 24-hour news channels, Fox has more room for that.

Tomorrow, finally, my new Fox Business show begins! It will air every Thursday at 8 p.m. (and will repeat Fridays at 10 p.m. -- opposite "20/20" -- heh, heh, heh).

My first show will be on the "climate crisis." Or it might be on Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged." I've prepared both shows because I can't decide which I should do.

What do you think?

I'm partial to an "Atlas" show because I reread the novel recently and was stunned. It was as if Rand had seen the future. Writing half a century ago, she predicted today's explosion of big government in shockingly accurate detail.

The "Preservation of Livelihood Law." The "Equalization of Opportunity Law." The "Steel Unification Plan."

Don't these sound like laws passed by the current Congress?

All were creations of Rand's villain, Wesley Mouch, the evil bureaucrat who regulates business and eventually drives the productive people out of business. Who is today's Wesley Mouch? Barney Frank? Chris Dodd. Tim Geithner? I'll ask my TV audience to vote.

"Atlas" is still a big bestseller today. This year, it reached as high as NO. 15 on Amazon's bestseller list. Pretty amazing.

Clearly there's some magic in "Atlas Shrugged." The Library of Congress once asked readers which books made the biggest difference in their lives. "Atlas" came in second, after the Bible.

Yet elites and the MSM hate Ayn Rand. When "Atlas" first came out, The New York Times wrote that "the book is written out of hate."

Maybe that's why no "Atlas" movie has been made. Angelina Jolie once wanted to play heroine Dagny Taggart, but it never happened. Rand's books still sell millions of copies, yet college "women's studies" courses rarely mention her. One professor says her department head asked, "Why would you study that fascist?"

Why such antipathy?

Rand celebrates business and free markets. The elites don't like business. In every newsroom where I've worked, and at my college, Princeton, capitalism was derided as selfishness.

And lately, as a failure. On one website, someone wrote: "You'd think it was a joke, when the global economy was collapsing because of greed, that anyone might turn seriously to the purple prose of crypto-fascist (!) Ayn Rand and think it was the answer to anything".

Well, I, for one, think her prose answers much.

The embrace of freer markets has lifted more people out of the misery of poverty than any other system -- ever. The World Bank says that in just the last 30 years, half a billion people who once lived on less than $1.25 a day have moved out of poverty.

But now, Wesley Mouch -- I mean, Congress and the bureaucrats -- tell us they are going to "fix" capitalism, as if their previous "fixes" didn't hamstring the free market and create the problems they propose to solve.

Who are they kidding? Rand had it right. She learned it the hard way in Soviet Russia. What makes a country work is leaving people free -- free to take risks, to invent things -- and to keep the rewards of their work.

Critics say Ayn Rand promotes selfishness. I call it "enlightened self interest." When free people act in their own self-interest, society prospers.

So there's my first show, maybe.

On second thought, with Barack Obama heading to Copenhagen promising America will cut its greenhouse gasses by 83 percent (not 82, not 84 -- exactly 83), I may do my first show on global warming.

I'll decide tomorrow -- when I begin my new career.

Rasmussen Reports, December 8, 2009: Support for a free market economy remains strong despite the extended recession and last fall’s Wall Street meltdown. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 76% of voters now say a free market economy is better than one managed by the government. Only 10% prefer an economy managed by the government. Those figures are virtually identical to the numbers from April and a slight increase in support from a year ago - 76% Prefer Free Market Economy
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg rev 14 Des 2009, 09:15

Oppslag i norsk media også på E24. Veldig greit oppslag i grunn :)

http://e24.no/utenriks/article3420968.ece

Morsomt at det står at boken er Siv Jensen sin favorittbok. Skulle gjerne likt og visst hvor Jensen er grunnleggende uenig med Rand og høre henne argumentere ut i fra et moralsk synspunkt.
rev

Innlegg QIQrrr 29 Des 2009, 17:42

Lessons from John Galt

Dan Freeman, December 24, 2009

Recent headlines seem lifted directly out of an Ayn Rand novel. President Obama decries the “fat cat bankers on Wall Street”. Harry Reid attacks insurance companies for making too much profit. House Democrat leaders call Tea Partiers “Racist, Nazi, Gun Nuts”. How about this nauseating statement made by Army General George Casey after the Muslim terrorist attack on Ft. Hood?

As great a tragedy as this was, it would be a shame if our diversity became a casualty as well.

Each of these headlines might well have been uttered by an Ayn Rand character. Rand, whose father’s pharmacy was confiscated by the Soviets during the communist revolution of 1917, and who came to America in 1926, seems uniquely able to speak to us about the inverted morality of our times. Virtue is to be apologized for. Depravity commands respect. Success is cast as evil and punished while failure is blamed on others and rewarded. Rand’s insights into the psychological state of collectivists - those who demand that we sacrifice our individual freedom and happiness for the sake of the state - explain what often seems incomprehensible to thinking people.

An epic demonstration of the inverted morality that Rand described was on display in Copenhagen last week as the world’s worst most evil dictators - Mugabe and Chavez - partnered with the world’s most visible and misguided progressives - Al Gore , Gordon Brown, Barack Obama - in an orgy of depravity. Sadly, even the Pope lent his moral support to the lunacy, saying, “Industrialized nations must recognize their responsibility for the environmental crisis, shed their consumerism and embrace more sober lifestyles.”

John Galt, the industrialist hero of Rand’s 1957 masterpiece, Atlas Shrugged, refers to those in power who stripped men of their minds, wealth and freedom, as mystics. The mystics of spirit were the religious leaders of centuries past who proclaimed that faith is superior to reason. Galt is no fan of these mystics but it is the mystics of muscle - the progressives who force us to submit to their version of the common good - that Galt despises.

And Barack Obama is a mystic of muscle in its purest form, able to corral the worshipping media, the always superficial Hollywood elites, America hating academics, state-sponsored capitalists (e.g., Goldman Sachs), and grant hungry “scientists” & environmentalists hoping to cash in on a trillion dollar loot of the American people called global warming. These are the pillars of deceit Obama used to get elected. This was how he convinced enough of us to give up our minds for the the mystical concept that Rand called the collective. True to form, Barack, master of the mystics of muscle, has used his power mightily to loot from the producers, and hand it to the parasites, crooks and undeserving (read; SEIU, ACORN, UN Climate Fund, General Motors).

John Galt leads a revolt by the productive class and outlines Rand’s philosophy in his 60-page radio address. Here, he explains how human beings - alone among life forms - can choose to be mindless:

A living entity that regarded its means of survival as evil, would not survive. A plant that struggled to mangle its roots, a bird that fought to break its wings would not remain for long in the existence they affronted. But the history of man has been a struggle to deny and destroy the mind.

Sad to say, for a movement powered by the mindlessness, there is plenty of fuel to sustain “hope and change”:

● Who but the mindless can believe that government run health care will reduce costs and improve care while covering more people?
    ● Who but the mindless can believe that this President is now serious about reducing the deficit after shattering spending records during his first year?
    ● Who but the mindless can take seriously the sham “jobs summit” held by a President whose every policy is a lesson in job destruction?
    ● Who but the mindless can believe Obama’s lie that “Cash for Clunkers” which cost taxpayers $24,000 per car was successful?
    ● Who but the mindless would not outraged that our government has reneged on its promise pay back the unused TARP fund to taxpayers?
    ● Who but the mindless would not question the morality that the world’s finest health care, which has extended and improved human life in unimaginable ways - conceived and produced by countless unsung heroes in the private sector - should magically be transformed by Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi into a “human right”, taken over by the state and rationed out as they please?

The assault on reason by our President and Congress goes on ad infinitum. It is mindlessness that elected “hope and change” and mindlessness that sustains it. Ayn Rand recognized that the greatest struggle on earth is that between the individual and the collective, and to submit to the collective, the individual must lose his ability to think for himself. Howard Roark, hero of The Fountainhead explains;

The mind is an attribute of the individual. There is no such thing as a collective brain.

The last thing a mystic of muscle wants is for us to start using our minds to uncover their fraud. Galt gets to the heart of the evil of progressive demand that we all serve the state when he says,

By the grace of reality and the nature of life, man - every man - is an end in himself, he exists for his own sake, and the achievement of his own happiness is his highest moral purpose.
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 06 Jan 2010, 17:28

Who Is Wesley Mouch?

John Stossel, Fox News, January 6, 2010

Tomorrow, my Fox Business Network show about Ayn Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged" will finally air. That should stop the emails like this one from Karen Cooper:

"Oh for the love of god! 'Atlas Shrugged' explains about 99 percent of what's wrong in all of the arenas of topics: health care, education, climate change, unions, the economy, etc. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE cover 'Atlas.'"
Cooper makes a good point. Even though Rand published "Atlas" in 1957, her descriptions of intrusive and bloated government read like today's news. The "Preservation of Livelihood Law" and "Equalization of Opportunity Law" could be Nancy Pelosi's or Harry Reid's work.

The novel's chief villain is Wesley Mouch, a bureaucrat who cripples the economy with endless regulations. This sounds familiar. Reason magazine reports that "as he looks around Washington these days," Rep. Paul Ryan "can't help but think he's seeing a lot of Wesley Mouch".

Me, too. I also saw a lot of him under George W. Bush.

So I'm conducting this unscientific poll: Who is our Wesley Mouch? Hank Paulson? Tim Geithner? Barney Frank? You can vote here.

Personally, I think Chris Dodd's ridiculous financial proposals ought to win him the honor. But he isn't among the choices on Fox's list. As I write this, Geithner, President Obama and Barney Frank lead the voting.

My first guest on the show (FBN, 8 p.m. Eastern Thursday, repeating at 10 p.m. Friday) is BB&T Chairman and "Atlas" fan John Allison. Allison's bank, the ninth largest in America, is doing very well, but he's angry the government forced him to take TARP money.

Allison once told The New York Times, "To say man is bad because he is selfish is to say it's bad because he's alive."

I'll pack the audience with some "Atlas" haters. That shouldn't be hard. My daughter's boyfriend offers up his Yale classmates. Many "liberals" agree with the "South Park" episode in which one character said that "because of this piece of s--t, I am never reading again." Rand brings out ferocious hatred in some people.

Also, I'll get a fish pedicure. Really.

This is a dubious Turkish idea that's become popular in Asia and is now trying for a foothold (pun intended) here. Instead of scraping dead skin off their feet, people have little garra rufa fish gently chew on them.

Fourteen states have banned fish pedicures, claiming they are unsafe, and other local governments have proposed bans. OK, compared to the assault on entrepreneurship described in "Atlas Shrugged," this is sort of a dumb example, but look -- I work in television -- dumb examples can make good points.

The bureaucrats say the fish can't be sterilized without killing them. They say customers will get infections. People could die! It's not safe! And it's cruel to the fish!

Has anyone died? Can you refer me to someone who got an infection? Anyone? The bureaucrats' answer is always no. But it's better to be cautious, they say.

In fact, the free market sorts such things out far more efficiently than bureaucrats. It's just not good business to hurt your customers. My 30 years of consumer reporting taught me that businesses rarely do this, and -- here's the market's self-regulation -- those that do don't stay in business long. That's not a perfect system, but it's much better than central planning. Had today's bureaucrats been in charge decades ago, they would have banned things like aspirin, cars and airplanes.

Sadly, they are in charge now. That makes the "Atlas" message important today.

Although Rand idolizes businessman in the abstract, "Atlas Shrugged" makes clear that she (like Adam Smith) understood that they are not natural friends of free markets. They are often first in line for privileges bestowed by the state. That's called "crony capitalism," and that's what Orren Boyle practices in "Atlas." After my "Atlas Shrugged" show, I plan a show on that subject. Suggestions invited.

I don't want to be controlled by business any more than I want to be regulated by Nancy Pelosi or Wesley Mouch.

I want the freedom to make my own choices.
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 07 Jan 2010, 15:20

En liten forsmak på kveldens sending:
Title: Stossel on Ayn Rand's Relevance
Published: Thu, 7 Jan 2010
Description: Fox Business Network host on importance of 'Atlas Shrugged'
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 08 Jan 2010, 07:39

Stossel on Ayn Rand's Relevance, Fox News, January 7, 2010:

2 3 4 5 6
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg dassrull 08 Jan 2010, 22:43

Kaller ikke DLF-lederne seg objektivister, til tross for at Ayn Rand ikke lar tilhengerne bruke den tittelen?
dassrull

Innlegg Rounin 09 Jan 2010, 01:05

Dette ville i så fall ikke samstemme med ting hun har skrevet andre steder. Såvidt meg bekjent ba hun simpelthen om at man kun skulle kalle seg "Objektivist" hvis man var det fullt og helt. Hun ønsket formodentlig ikke at begrepet skulle flyte ut og bety ti forskjellige ting, slik for eksempel "liberal" gjør i dag.
Brukerens avatar
Rounin

Innlegg dassrull 09 Jan 2010, 05:02

OK. Slik jeg forsto det ville hun ikke at folk skulle være helt enig med henne, da dette ville medføre at de stjal ideene hennes.
dassrull

Innlegg Vegard Martinsen 09 Jan 2010, 08:42

dassrull skrev:Kaller ikke DLF-lederne seg objektivister, til tross for at Ayn Rand ikke lar tilhengerne bruke den tittelen?

Mange av de sentrale i DLF er Objektivister. En Objektivist er en som er enig i Objektivismen. Det er riktig at en gang for lenge siden, lenge før det fantes mye skriftlig materiale som fremstilte hva Objektivismen besto i, mente Ayn Rand at de som studerte hennes ideer burde kalle seg "students of Objectivism".

Men siden det Objektivistiske korpus nå er meget omfattende og ferdig, så er det ingen nå som sier at de som er enige i Objektivismen ikke kan kalle seg Objektivister.
Vegard Martinsen

ForrigeNeste

Gå til Grunnleggende ideer

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 2 gjester