Egoisme

Diskusjon om psykologi, epistemologi og metafysikk (fri vilje, begrepsdannelse, o.l.).

Egoisme

Innlegg Panther 02 Apr 2009, 21:36

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5483

Atlas Shrugged and Ayn Rand's Morality of Egoism (Part 1 of 3)

The first code is Rand’s morality of rational egoism, which lies at the heart of Atlas Shrugged and is the centerpiece of Objectivism. The second code is the traditional ethics of altruism—which is the cause of all the trouble in Atlas Shrugged and is the ethics on which we all were raised. In order to be clear about what Rand’s egoism is, I want to compare and contrast it with altruism. This will serve to highlight the value of Rand’s ideas and help to dispel potential misconceptions about her views. It will also show how destructive altruism is and why we desperately need to replace it with rational egoism—both personally and culturally. (I will be using the terms “egoism” and “rational egoism” interchangeably for reasons that will become clear as we proceed.)

Let me stress that I cannot present the whole of Rand’s morality in one evening—that would be impossible. What I’m going to do is just indicate its essence, by discussing a few of its key principles. My aim is to show you that there is something enormously important here—something important to your life and happiness—and to inspire you to look further into the subject on your own.

Meget bra fra Biddle.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Re: Egoisme

Innlegg Panther 04 Apr 2009, 09:47

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5484

“Alter” is Latin for “other”; “altruism” means “other-ism”; it holds that you should sacrifice for others. From the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim points of view, the significant “others” are “God” and “the poor”; in the Old Testament, for instance, God says: “I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land” (Deuteronomy 15:11). From the utilitarian point of view, the “other” is “everyone in general”; the utilitarian principle is “the greatest good for the greatest number.” From the postmodern and egalitarian points of view, the “other” is anyone with less wealth or opportunity than you have; in other words, the better off you are, the more you should sacrifice for others—the worse off you are, the more others should sacrifice for you.

Sacrifice. Sacrifice. Sacrifice. Everyone believes it is the moral thing to do. And no philosopher has been willing to challenge this idea.

Except Ayn Rand:

[T]here is one word—a single word—which can blast the morality of altruism out of existence and which it cannot withstand—the word: “Why?” Why must man live for the sake of others? Why must he be a sacrificial animal? Why is that the good? There is no earthly reason for it—and, ladies and gentlemen, in the whole history of philosophy no earthly reason has ever been given.9

On examination, this is true. No reason has ever been given as to why people should sacrifice for others. Of course, alleged reasons have been given, but not legitimate ones.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Innlegg Panther 04 Apr 2009, 10:47

And here is part 3

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5485

The basic question in politics is: What are the requirements of human life in a social context? What, in principle, must people do—or refrain from doing—in order to live together in a civilized manner? Here, Ayn Rand makes another crucial identification. Since we need to think rationally and act accordingly in order to live, we need to be able to act on our judgment. The only thing that can stop us from acting on our judgment is other people. And the only way they can stop us is by means of physical force. Quoting Rand:

It is only by means of physical force that one man can deprive another of his life, or enslave him, or rob him, or prevent him from pursuing his own goals, or compel him to act against his own rational judgment.

The precondition of a civilized society is the barring of physical force from social relationships—thus establishing the principle that if men wish to deal with one another, they may do so only by means of reason: by discussion, persuasion and voluntary, uncoerced agreement.13

If someone puts a gun to your head and tells you what to do, you cannot act on your judgment. The threat of death makes your judgment irrelevant; you now have to act on the gunman’s judgment. If he says, “Give me your wallet,” you have to give him your wallet. If he says, “Take off your clothes,” you have to do that. If he says, “Don’t object to my decrees,” you must not object. You have to do whatever he says, or you’ll get shot in the head. Your own judgment—your basic means of survival—has been overridden and is now useless.

And it makes no difference whether the gunman is a lone thug, or a group of thugs, or the KBG, or the senators and president of our rapidly deteriorating America. Whenever and to whatever extent physical force is used against you or me or anyone, the victim cannot act on his judgment, his basic means of living; thus, he cannot live fully as a human being. This is why rational egoism holds that the initiation of force against people is evil. It is evil because it is antilife.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

The Fallacy of "Selfish"

Innlegg Panther 25 Jun 2011, 11:01

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/culture/living/6452-the-fallacy-of-selfish.html

24 June 2011 Michael Hurd

Human beings are capable of many contradictions. One of the most stunning of these contradictions involves use of the concept "selfishness." If selfishness is so bad, then why is it acceptable for the person accusing you of it to want you to do something?

Think about it. Many people are ready to call you "selfish." It's the greatest, most intimidating and most condemnatory phrase they can ever utter against you. The context for this phrase is, "You won't do what I want. You won't do this for me. You're selfish. How awful you are!"

Nobody calls you selfish unless they want something from you, something they consider the better option. This elevates the other person’s evaluation, want or need above your own. It’s selfish of them to not want you to be selfish, according to their own definition and standards.

The moment somebody says you're selfish, and therefore bad or wrong, is the moment the person making this accusation contradicts him- or herself. This should discredit the complaint upon arrival.

Let's say I want you to come to my house, drop what you're doing and listen to me complain about something. When you decline to do so, I call you "selfish." You bow your head in humility. "How awful!" you think.

"I'm putting myself before another person."

But isn't that what I'm doing to you? Aren't I demanding that you give up what's important to you in my favor, merely because I feel I need it or want it? If I’m entitled to be selfish enough to make a demand on you, aren’t you at least equally entitled to decline it?

Much is made about how we live in the glorious new era of self-esteem.

Psychologists and psychotherapists everywhere tell us to have self-esteem. But I encounter very few people who are either able or willing to stand up to the self-refuting, contradictory accusation of "selfish," even in this newfound era of self-esteem. I know of virtually no psychotherapists, aside from myself, who even raise the issue, much less take the position I do on the subject.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Innlegg RTE 04 Feb 2012, 04:08

Kom over denne videoen av en fyr som tidligere var deprimert og har mangen selvmordsforsøk bak seg. Han sier at problemet var at han ikke var egoistisk nok og forklarer hvorfor en egoistisk etikk er den beste veien for å få et lykkelig liv og hvorfor man først må være tilfreds med seg selv før man kan gjøre andre lykkelige. Utrolig inspirerende!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUN5IFQU ... re=related
RTE

Gå til Grunnleggende ideer

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 0 gjester