Thinking Tactics

Diskusjon om psykologi, epistemologi og metafysikk (fri vilje, begrepsdannelse, o.l.).

Thinking Tactics

Innlegg Panther 14 Jun 2009, 13:26

Vanskelig å finne noen god Norsk oversettelse, men her virker det som om det er noen gode tips å hente.

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5556

Speed Up by Slowing Down
by Jean Moroney (June 14, 2009)

Sometimes, when there's more work on your plate than ever, your output slows to a crawl. When this happens, you may feel you should just speed up. But that impulse is mistaken. To get moving again, first slow down your thinking.

Bogging down is evidence you've overloaded your mental circuits.

When work has slowed to a crawl, you can bet that you are stuck somewhere in your head. The best way to speed up your work is to slow down your thinking. Sort out the morass by switching to "thinking on paper" in full sentences. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can take stock of the situation and propel yourself into productive action.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Setting Standing Orders

Innlegg Panther 21 Jun 2009, 14:09

Denne kan jeg stå inne for, den har fungert helt fint for meg i iallefall 20 år.

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5557

by Jean Moroney (June 21, 2009)

I'm a believer in using checklists and notes as memory aids. But sometimes you need to be able to rely on your own memory. This is particularly true for things you want to remember every time, like:

* Remember the car keys.
* Pronounce that word PREF-ur-u-buul, not pruh-FUR-uh-buul.
* Take that medicine with breakfast.

1) Tie your standing order to a concrete, physical event that you know will happen.

2) Make the order positive, not negative.

3) Always act on the reminder when it occurs to you.

4) Only set a standing order if the action is truly important to you.

5) Automatize just one standing order at a time.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Three Good Things

Innlegg Panther 28 Jun 2009, 16:02

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5559

by Jean Moroney (June 28, 2009)

Dr. Seligman ran controlled experiments to test the technique. Not only did his subjects report being happier and more optimistic during the studies, but they liked participating so much that they continued writing down three good things each day after the experiment was over.

This little bit of thinking each day has large emotional rewards. Why? Because it strengthens two kinds of value judgments:

1) What you hold as good: Every time you decide consciously that something is good, you reinforce, clarify, and concretize what "good" means.

2) What you hold as important: Important means "entitled to attention or consideration." When you spend a little time focusing on the good in your life, you are implicitly asserting that the good is what's important.

Not bad for three minutes of thinking each day.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Aiding Willpower

Innlegg Panther 05 Jul 2009, 14:50

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5558

by Jean Moroney (July 5, 2009)

I think willpower draws on a kind of reservoir of emotional energy. Because it is so important to be able to call on willpower when I need it, I do several things to conserve that energy by reducing how often I need willpower:

1) I schedule my activity so it matches the frame of mind I'll be in, so I don't need to use willpower to change my mindset.

2) I create routines to follow.

3) Instead of suppressing temptations, I take action to eliminate their source.

4) I take resistance seriously.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Distinguishing Feeling Overloaded from Feeling Overwhelmed

Innlegg Panther 12 Jul 2009, 16:18

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5560

by Jean Moroney (July 12, 2009)

When your thinking process feels stopped by too much on your mind, take a moment to distinguish whether your are overloaded or overwhelmed (or both at once).

"Overloaded" is a cognitive state. It occurs when you are juggling too many ideas in your mind, perhaps everything you need to do before an upcoming deadline. As you turn your attention to one thing, you lose track of another.

"Overwhelmed" is an emotional state. It consists of intense fear or doubt at the prospect of doing a difficult or challenging task. Worries fill your mind.

Both these states can make you feel out of control, with too much on your mind. Both can bring you to a halt in your thinking. But the solutions differ.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Don't Let Pressure Sabotage Your Thinking

Innlegg Panther 22 Jul 2010, 17:15

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/culture/living/self-improvement/6039-Dont-Let-Pressure-Sabotage-Your-Thinking.html

21 July 2010 Jean Moroney

Pressure can sabotage your thinking. By pressure, I mean an issue weighing on your mind as you try to concentrate on something else

Perhaps it's an imminent deadline or a desperate desire to do a fantastic job. Maybe it's a highly-charged emotional situation you haven't had time to resolve. Or maybe it's just that other project you're working on. To keep the issue from distracting you, you heighten your vigilance, redouble your effort, and try to plug ahead anyway.

Here are some other ways to address an issue that is weighing on you:

If you are worrying about something that might happen: Make a contingency plan for how you will handle it.
If there is a decision that needs to be made: Identify the information you need to make the decision. If you don't have enough information, plan how you'll get it, then let go for now. If you have all the information, make a list of pros and cons, and give yourself the instruction to percolate in the background on the decision for now.
If you feel deadline pressure: Identify the kernel that you can complete in half the available time, and focus on that. (I teach this as "Planned Evolution," an approach that also helps with pressure from perfectionism.)
If you are feeling an intense emotion: Introspect it. Ask, "What do I feel?" and "Why do I feel it?" This calms the emotion and puts you back in control. (I teach this as "Introspection 101.")
If you have a problem that you need to solve, plan precisely when and how you will devote time to address it, and explain to yourself why you are right to put it off until then.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Re: Thinking Tactics

Innlegg Panther 22 Mar 2011, 13:08

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/culture/living/self-improvement/6335-%EF%BB%BFthree-tips-for-using-small-time-blocks-for-an-open-ended-thinking-task.html

Three Tips for Using Small Time Blocks for an Open-Ended Thinking Task
21 March 2011 Jean Moroney

The key to meshing small time blocks is making good transitions.

When you have a big question to think about, don't wait until you have 2 or 3 hours free to tackle it. There just aren't enough big blocks of time available to make that a practical strategy. Instead, I learn how to Velcro together smaller blocks of time--say 25 minutes or so--so that together they give you the effectiveness of a longer block.

The key to meshing small time blocks is making good transitions.

Start and end your work block with procedures that ensure each bit of work will follow seamlessly from the previous. Then, together, they will add up to the open-ended thinking time you need. Here are the basic tips for making that happen:

1) Keep your notes in one place.

2) Give yourself permission to warm up during the first three minutes

3) Take 30 seconds at the end to make notes in full sentences on what's next

Note: The tips above are the absolute basics, which help you recapture the context within about 24 hours. In my workshop on Thinking Tactics, I present a system of powerful, advanced tools that completely solve this problem.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

The Secret to Doing Better Next Time

Innlegg Panther 14 Mai 2011, 13:58

Enda en jeg kan stå inne for.

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/culture/living/self-improvement/6417-the-secret-to-doing-better-next-time.html

14 May 2011 Jean Moroney

The secret to doing better lies in thinking more about that failure now, even though it's a little unpleasant.

Did something go badly? A "discussion" with a spouse or coworker that ended in acrimony? A proposal that flopped? When something goes badly, you may be tempted to forget about it and just try to do better next time. But the secret to doing better lies in thinking more about that failure now, even though it's a little unpleasant.

Right now, in hindsight, you have a lot more information and a lot less pressure to figure out a better approach. It's a golden opportunity to learn something. Just ask yourself:"What do I wish I had done differently?" and "Knowing what I know now, what could I do differently another time?"

Sometimes, you'll see you missed something that you think you should have known. Maybe you realize that some technique you learned in a class would have helped.

This sets you up for success. You learn much more from an expert's books or classes when you come with ready-made personal examples you can relate the ideas to. A burning urgency to apply the skill to your life right now is the best motivation to learn.

One way or another, thinking about how you'd redo a failure is guaranteed to help you learn how to do better next time. And that sure beats the alternative: Fail, fail again, in exactly the same way as before.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Re: Thinking Tactics

Innlegg Panther 28 Jun 2011, 08:48

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/culture/living/self-improvement/6462-achieve-your-lifetime-goals-by-thinking-about-them-every-year.html

Achieve Your Lifetime Goals by Thinking About Them Every Year
27 June 2011 Jean Moroney
Your lifetime goals are the things you'd like to do, either in the next 3-5 years or just "sometime."

"Change your smoke detector batteries when you change the clocks to or from Daylight Savings Time. Otherwise you'll forget."

This little trick suggests a way to help you achieve some of the most important goals you'll ever set: your lifetime goals.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Gå til Grunnleggende ideer

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 1 gjest