The Psychology of Forcing Others

Diskusjon om psykologi, epistemologi og metafysikk (fri vilje, begrepsdannelse, o.l.).

The Psychology of Forcing Others

Innlegg Panther 06 Sep 2011, 11:17

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/politics/6569-the-psychology-of-forcing-others.html

3 September 2011 Michael Hurd

What drives a person to be a Big Government statist?

Many motives are possible. One of them is to quiet their internal noise.

What's "internal noise"? This refers to the self-talk a person wants to stop. For example, let's say a person feels guilty for what he has. "I'm a terrible person for having all these nice things when others, through no fault of their own, don't have these things." Now, he could give most of his things away. But clearly he doesn't want to do that. Instead, he pressures his legislators to pass laws requiring higher taxes, government subsidies, social welfare programs, and the like. This helps him quiet his internal noise. He can now say, "I’m a good person. I voted for that wonderful politician who cares, and who will make sure the needy are protected. That makes me a good person."

The same applies to the government interventionist on the religious right. "I have sexual impulses and I'm ashamed of them. I don't know how to stop them. Something has got to be done!" So she goes out in the world and preaches against other people's sexual impulses which she finds offensive, or against the right of women to have abortions or even practice birth control. This helps quiet her own internal noise. "There, now I've done something," she says to herself with great satisfaction.
Ken-G. Johansen.
Brukerens avatar
Panther

Gå til Grunnleggende ideer

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 1 gjest