Om FN

Diskusjon om politiske temaer fra det internasjonale nyhetsbildet.

Re: Om FN

Innlegg QIQrrr 24 Sep 2010, 05:15

Fox News, September 23, 2010: He was greeted by applause when he walked into the United Nations General Assembly, and applauded again, even after questioning 9/11 and claiming that the American government may have been behind the attack. That’s right, applauded after questioning the motivation for the terrorist attacks, who was responsible for them, and essentially suggesting they were a U.S. plot - Applause for Ahmadinejad

Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

"Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted" - Franz Kafka
Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 26 Sep 2010, 10:08

Human Events, September 26, 2010: President Barack Obama descended this week upon the United Nations General Assembly from his home base on Planet Jimmy Carter, and lectured the assembled world leaders in the official UN language of “alternative reality.” UN chief Ban Ki-Moon warmed up the crowd by calling for respect among the various gathered delegates gearing up to walk out on the various whack-jobs in attendance, much like the American delegation did when Iran’s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad started talking about the poll he apparently executed in his head suggesting that most Americans and foreigners believe that the U.S. government conspired to attack itself on 9/11. Before Obama took the floor, Ban Ki-Moon continued to attempt to justify his salary and perks against the backdrop of a laugh track in my head when he issued the prime directive: “Let us remember, the world still looks to the United Nations for moral and political leadership.” And with that, Pontificus Magnus appeared - Obama 'Pontificus Magnus' Descends Upon UN

Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

"Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted" - Franz Kafka
Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 09 Okt 2010, 04:34

New York Post, October 7, 2010: Can United Nations peace keeping deliver peace? It sure failed this summer in an eastern province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where armed groups went on a spree of gang rape just 20 miles up the road from a contingent of dozens of UN blue helmets. Despite warnings of trouble, it took three days -- during which the raping of hundreds of women continued -- before a UN patrol showed up. It took more than a week before the head of the UN's Congo peacekeeping mission, US diplomat Roger Meece, says he learned of the rapes. And it took almost three weeks before the UN special representative for ending sexual violence in conflict zones, Margot Wallstrom, says she heard about it -- from media reports - Raped Under UN Auspices
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 16 Okt 2010, 06:02

Al Jazeera, October 15, 2010: Demonstrators have blocked the entrance to the UN military headquarters in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, spraying anti-UN slogans on vehicles trying to enter. A crowd of roughly 100 protesters carrying banners saying "Down with the occupation" were forced back by UN soldiers, Sebastian Walker, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Port-au-Prince, said on Friday. "Security personnel traded blows with demonstrators, and troops started firing in the air, with helicopters hovering above." Demonstrators also burned the flag of Brazil, the nation that has contributed the largest contingent to the international peacekeeping force. "Haitians feel that the presence of [UN] security personnel doesn't offer much in terms of ordinary Haitians living in camps," Walker said. Although opposition demonstrators remained quiet for several months following the massive January 12 earthquake, a chorus of opposition to Rene Preval, Haiti's president, and to UN forces has become more vocal in recent weeks - Anti-UN protesters block Haiti base
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 17 Okt 2010, 06:10

United Nations, October 16, 2010: The world is facing challenges transcending borders like no other time in history, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon told an international conference in Morocco today, underlining the pivotal role played by global governance. “As interdependence deepens, some of our old systems and set-ups have not kept pace,” Mr. Ban told the opening session of this year's World Policy Conference organized by the French Institute of International Relations (IFRI) in Marrakesh. “We simply must find better ways of working together – and build systems that are tuned to our times – ones that are more accountable, more representative and more able to maximize our collective strength and maximize our limited resources to the best benefit of our global community,” he added. “This is what global governance means to me” - Massive challenges highlight key role of global governance, says Ban
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 29 Okt 2010, 17:45

The Guardian, October 28, 2010: UN funding is being used to run a brutal internment camp for the destitute in Cambodia where detainees are held for months without trial, raped and beaten, sometimes to death, former inmates have told the Guardian. The Prey Speu facility, 12 miles from Phnom Penh, the Cambodian capital, is officially described as a "social affairs centre" offering education and healthcare to vulnerable people. But human rights groups and former inmates say the centre is an illegal, clandestine prison, where people deemed "undesirable" by the government – usually drug users, sex workers and the homeless – are held for months without charge. Men, women and children are housed together in a single building and are regularly beaten with planks, whipped with wires or threatened with weapons, according to witnesses. It is alleged that guards have beaten three detainees to death and gang-rapes by the same body of men are reportedly common - Cambodians beaten, raped and killed at illegal detention camp funded by UN
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 30 Okt 2010, 20:31

Om dette er en halv billion kroner ekstra i året på toppen av det de allerede forsøker å hale ut av vestlige skattebetalerne vites ikke, men de bør under ingen omstendigheter tilgodeses med så mye som et rødt øre:

EIN News, October 29, 2010: A crisis is looming in world agriculture because of lack of resources to feed the world's exploding population. In a report, the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization says that up to $100 billion a year may be needed to feed a population expected to grow from its current 6.7 billion level to 9 billion people. Current resources fall far short of that. The UN group's report, released ahead of a global conference in the Hague which begins Sunday, says "Available financing, current and projected, are substantially insufficient to meet climate change and food security challenges." Existing financing mechanisms instrumental for fighting climate change -- such as the Clean Development Fund or the European Union's Emissions Trading Scheme -- often exclude agriculture, the FAO said. The agency says the agricultural shortage is particularly acute in undeveloped countries - UN: Not Enough Money Available to Feed the World
På sikt vil den type internasjonal sosialisme som FN her tar til orde for underminere produktiviteten i giverlandene samtidig som omfordelingen bidrar til å opprettholde årsaken til problemene i mottakerlandene. Årsaken til matvaremangel er ikke at FNs budsjetter er for små. Årsaken er utelukkende mangel på individuell frihet. FN er motstander av individuell frihet. Organisasjonen har videre bidratt til at ikke ubetydelige deler av verdens kornproduksjon går til biodrivstoff. FN er med andre ord ikke løsningen. De er en del av problemet. Finansieringen av organisasjonen bør derfor opphøre med øyeblikkelig virkning. Det er kun fri markedsøkonomi som kan levere matvarene.
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 05 Nov 2010, 09:34

Haaretz, November 5, 2010: The defense establishment has taken the unusual step of granting the United Nations Relief and Works Agency approval to take four weapons into Gaza. The weapons, submachine guns, are to serve the security detail guarding the heads of the agency in Gaza. The request to bring in the weapons was made three years ago and approved last week. The COGAT office said "the delay was because UNRWA received authorization from the Germans only five months ago" - UN Gaza leaders given submachine guns for protection 'against Hamas'

Bilde
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 06 Nov 2010, 00:11

Jens Stoltenberg har påtatt seg rollen som internasjonal skatteinnkrever i kampen for global utjevning med henvisning til den eksotiske hypotesen om at CO2-utslipp avstedkommer konsekvenser som fortsatt ikke er vitenskapelig påvist:

Yahoo! News, November 5, 2010: A top UN panel on Friday called for increased taxes on carbon emissions and air and sea transport to raise 100 billion dollars a year for poor nations to combat climate change. The group led by the prime ministers of Norway and Ethiopia also proposed a tax on international financial transactions for a UN fund aiming to be ready by 2020. The panel -- which also included finance ministers and financier George Soros -- was set up at last year's acrimonious Copenhagen climate summit and its proposals will get a first international airing at the UN climate conference in Cancun, Mexico starting at the end of the month. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called the proposals "financially feasible and politically viable." Environment pressure groups said governments are duty-bound to follow the proposals. Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg of Norway and Prime Minister Meles Zenawi of Ethiopia said there carbon emission taxes must be used as a deterrent to producing the gases blamed for global warming and to raise revenue - UN climate panel calls for carbon and transport taxes

Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg nico 15 Nov 2010, 16:15

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/uriks ... 904235.ece

FN degenerer til et hylekor mot USA.

Bilde
Det var fullt i høringgssalen i Geneve 5. november, da USA for første gang måtte til høring om hvordan landet forholder seg til menneskerettighetene. FOTO: AP

Cuba ber USA løslate politiske fanger

FN-høring av USA ble kuppet av Iran, Nord-Korea og Cuba. Men Norge fikk likevel slippe til med kritiske spørsmål om tortur og dødsstraff.

USA har for første gang måttet stille til høring i FN for å evaluere landets forhold til menneskerettighetene. I forrige uke sto amerikanerene skolerett i den sveitsiske byen Geneve i den såkalte UPR (Universal Periodic Review)-høringen i FNs menneskerettsråd, der alle som ville det fikk komme med ris, ros og anbefalinger.

Det ble mye ris.
Og veldig mye av den kom fra land som har et anstrengt forhold til USA fra før. Blant landene som figurerer oftest i den 30 sider lange rapporten fra høringen, finner vi Cuba, Iran, Nord-Korea; Sudan og Venezuela.

Krass kritikk fra Iran
Blant annet ber Cuba USA om å oppheve handelsblokaden av øystaten. Cubanerne krever også at USA løslater det de omtaler som landets «politiske fanger».

Havana-myndighetene, som selv har et utall politiske fanger i egne fengsler, ber også USA om å «avslutte krigsforbrytelser i utlandet» samt å stille flere titall «velkjente terrorister som lever fritt i USA» for retten.

Iran, et land som ikke er kjent for sin skånsomme behandling av arresterte borgere, krever på sin side en garanti om at det ikke forekommer noe tortur i fengsler drevet av amerikanerne utenfor USA. Presteveldet i Teheran ber også USA om å avslutte telefonavlyttingen og internettovervåkningen av egne borgere.

USA må også slutte å la etterretningsorganisasjonen CIA bryte menneskerettighetene «under påskudd av å bekjempe terrorisme».

Dessuten, ber Iran, må USA slutte å gjennomføre unilaterale tiltak mot andre land.

Alle 192 FN-land må gjennom en UPR-høring hvert fjerde år. Norge ble grillet i fjor.

Tar opp egne saker
Rapporten er full av eksempler på land som tar opp sin egen sak. Cuba, Sudan og Nord-Korea er alle land som opplever amerikanske sanksjoner.

Bilde
Statssekretærene Esther Brimmer og Michael Posner stilte opp på vegne av amerikanske myndigheter på en pressekonferanse etter UPR-høringen i Geneve.

Alle tre land, i tillegg til Venezuela, Bolivia og Nicaragua, benytter seg av muligheten under høringen til å be USA om å oppheve slike tiltak.

Et annet eksempel på et land som bruker høringen til temaer som kan anses som på siden av hva som skal diskuteres på en menneskerettighetshøring er Nicaragua, som ber USA om å betale landet kompensasjon for det som omtales som terrorisme rettet mot landet mens Ronald Reagan var president. (1980-88, red.anm).

Amerikanernes reaksjon på kritikken fra enkelte land var å avvise den totalt:

- Disse anbefalingene er ikke ment som noe annet enn politisk provokasjon, og kan ikke bli tatt seriøst, sier Harold Hongju Koh, en juridisk rådgiver i amerikansk UD, under høringen, ifølge nettstedet genevalunch.com.

Norske innspill
Under høringen av USA var også norske diplomater frempå med krav til USA, akkurat slik utenriksminister Jonas Gahr Støre varslet til Aftenposten i et intervju like før høringen.

Her er de syv norske innspillene, ifølge FN-rapporten fra høringen:

* USA bør innføre en nasjonal menneskerettighetsinstitusjon som skal tilse at menneskerettigetene følges over hele landet.
* USA bør gjøre mer for å sikre økonomiske og sosiale rettigheter for kvinner og minoriteter, deriblant lik tilgang til arbeid. Amerikanerne må også redusere antallet hjemløse.
* USA bør ta steg for å innføre et moratorium på henrettelser på statlig og delstatlig nivå med et mål om å avvilke dødsstraff på landsbasis.
* Antallet kriminelle handlinger som kan gi dødsstraff må reduseres
* USA bør USA gjennomføre tiltak for å fjerne alle former for tortur og mishandling av fanger av militære eller sivilt personell – uansett hvilket land eller territorium mishandlingen skjer i. Slle slike handlinger må bli grundig etterforsket.
* USA bør slutte å gi militær assistanse til land som bryter menneskerettighetene
* USA bør fjerne abortrestriksjoner på bistandsmidler som brukes på arbeid rettet mot kvinner i konfliktsoner som er gravide etter voldtekt.

Norge var også blant de mange landene som anerkjente USAs arbeid for å fremme menneskerettigheter rundt om i verden.

Dødsstraff
Generelt sett var det noen få temaer som gikk igjen da over 50 land kom med innspill til USA. Dødsstraff var et gjennomgangstema, dog med svært ulik ordlyd.

Mens effektive tyskere rett og slett ba USA om å «avvikle dødsstraffen», pakket Norge budkapet inn i diplomatiske vendinger.

Den norske innpakkingen var likevel ingenting i forhold til Algerie, som ba USA om å «studere muligheten for at myndighetene kan føre en kampanje som støtter FNs moratorium på dødsstraff».

«Avslutt fremmedfrykten»

Et annet tema som ble gjentatt av flere var at USA måtte ratifisere en rekke FN-konvensjoner og erklæringer knyttet til menneskerettighetene, deriblant barnekonvensjonen.

Flere land, blant annet en rekke nasjoner i Latin-Amerika, rettet kritikk mot diskriminering i USA.

En lang rekke nasjoner ba amerikanerne om å bli flinkere til å bekjempe diskrimminering basert på rase, kjønn, etnisitet og legning.

- Avslutt fremmedfrykten, krevde Venezuela.

Forsvarte dødsstraff
USA fikk selvsagt muligheten til å ta til motmæle i FN-høringen, og påpekte blant annet hvor mye landet har gjort for å bekjempe diskriminering. President Obamas beslutning om å forby alle former for tortur samt å ville legge ned Guantanamo-basen ble også trukket frem.

Diplomatene fra USA bemerket også at 32 millioner flere amerikanere nå har tilgang til grunnleggende helsetjenester på grunn av den nye helsereformen som Obama fikk gjennomslag for i Kongressen tidligere i år.

De endelige reaksjonene fra USA vil bli inkludert i en senere rapport som vil bli publisert på FNs nettsider. Men én ting er allerede klart: USA vil ikke ta selvkritikk på bruken av dødsstraff.

- Vi respekterer de landene som kommer med slike anbefalinger. Samtidig merker vi oss at de reflekterer uenighet om politikk, ikke uenighet om hva som er tillatt etter internasjonale lover, sa Harold Koh fra det amerikanske utenriksdepartementet under høringen, ifølge nyhetsbyrået CP.

Les hele FN-rapporten her.
You can't put an "I wish" over an "It is"

- Leonard Peikoff
nico

Innlegg QIQrrr 18 Nov 2010, 22:21

Reuters, November 16, 2010: Arab and African nations succeeded Tuesday in getting a U.N. General Assembly panel to delete from a resolution condemning unjustified executions a specific reference to killings due to sexual orientation. Western delegations expressed disappointment - U.N. panel cuts gay reference from violence measure
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 02 Des 2010, 17:14

Fox News, December 1, 2010: The United Nations, which spent more than $732 million on peacekeeping efforts in earthquake-battered Haiti during its last budgetary year, wants another $864.1 million from donors to cover the cost of the peacekeeping stabilization force on the island through the end of June 2011. The U.S. portion of that tab would be roughly 27 percent of the total -- about $234.8 million. One of the stated missions of the stabilization project appears to be making sure that the U.N. takes an active role in ensuring that any aid will not cause a new Haitian economy to have large disparities of wealth among the population. [...] The peacekeepers are operating not only as forces for law and order and recovery, but also as social and political engineers working alongside, and sometimes on behalf of, the decimated government of Haitian president Rene Preval, and his successor, whoever that may be, in a vast and open-ended project of nation-building and social equalization - UN Requests Nearly $1 Billion More for Haiti Peacekeeping
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 07 Des 2010, 07:03

AllAfrica, Dcember 6, 2010: Media men and women from 20 African countries have worked out an innovative strategy and a practical approach of using the pen and microphone to halt the triggers of climate change. [...] The whole issue is built on the premise that the brunt of climate change is highly felt by the poor. [...] Organised by the Japanese government in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) within the framework of the Africa Adaptation Programme (AAP), the Nairobi confab was, in essence, the launching of a climate change awareness project. The project which is a component of AAP is targeting the key role that African media can play in effectively and accurately investigating, interpreting and reporting on climate change issues and events so as to positively influence African public opinion about the immediate challenges therein. The whole thing has to do with making news out of the environment and dealing with climate change "denialists" - African Journalists Combat Climate Change
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 10 Des 2010, 00:51

22% av FN-budsjettet kommer fra hovedbidragsyteren USA:

CNC News, December 9, 2010: The incoming Republican chairwoman of the U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee on Wednesday identified U.S. funding of the United Nations as a target. The comments are likely to send a chill through supporters of the Obama administration’s policy of deeper engagement with the U.N. The Florida Republican also has her sights set on the administration’s budgets for the State Department and foreign aid - Incoming Chair of House Foreign Affairs Committee Wants to Isolate Enemies, Make U.N. Accountable
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

Innlegg QIQrrr 14 Des 2010, 00:12

New York Post, December 12, 2010: Next year, as New Yorkers observe the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the United Nations is planning a celebration. It’s perverse. It’s inexcusable. And it’s business as usual in Turtle Bay. September 2011, you see, also marks the 10th anniversary of the Durban Conference on Racism, a weeklong farce that accused Israel of being the world’s most racist nation and sought to undermine its very right to exist. So last month Yemen sponsored a resolution calling for the anniversary meet-up. The idea is to create a forum for yet another round of Israel-bashing hate speech. In a sane world, such a party would be ridden out of town. At the UN, the resolution passed 121 to 19, with 35 abstentions - The UN's 9/11 insult
Børge Svanstrøm Amundsen

Brukerens avatar
QIQrrr

ForrigeNeste

Gå til Utenrikspolitikk

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 0 gjester